Time Tracking - Disabling Ability to log Work for custom issue types

Holger Endres August 19, 2012

Hi,

we're using Jira 4.3 with Greenhopper 5.6.5.

Is it possible to disable the ability to log work on issue type base? i.e. It should be possible to log work for, lets say for the issue types "User Story", "Task", "Error" but not for the issue type "epic".

Important: Is it possible only with the build-in time-tracking of Jira? (without any of the existing commercial plugins like tempo etc.)

I tried to remove timetracking field from screen, but still everybody who's allowed to log work can log work.

Thx

Holger

6 answers

7 votes
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2014

Old question, but an easy solution exists for this. Assuming you have an existing Workflow for just the Epic issue type, simply add this Property Key to each of the transitions in that Workflow. Leave the Property Value empty. Be sure to publish the workflow after creating the draft.

jira.permission.work.denied

Robert Nolan March 31, 2016

Thanks for the info. Paul - I found that adding the jira.permission.work.denied to each workflow Step Name (id) --> Properties, was the solution here, rather than the workflow transition (within the On-Demand version).

Maybe this has changed since the solution above was provided as some time ago. Thanks for pointing in right direction however

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2016

It's not changed since it was introduced.  When I answered, you couldn't do it (reliably).  When it was added, it always got added to the Step, not the transition.

Neil McGuirk November 28, 2016

I've been trying to find out how to do this for ages.

Finally I can prevent developers logging time where they shouldn't.

Thanks so much

Lukas Krajnak April 5, 2018

This solution is not working anymore, any other suggestions? 

Thanks

Ryan Gandy May 10, 2018

This is not working any longer for me either.

I am trying to control which Issue Types can log time.

I have build two workflows, one for stories, epics and tasks which deny time tracking using jira.permission.work.denied and one for sub-tasks and bugs which allows time tracking.

The differences in permission on the two work flows have no effect. All issue types are still able tot track time.

However, if I add "All Unassigned Issue Types" to the workflow which disables time tracking, time tracking is removed for ALL issue types.

It appears the mapping of "All Unassigned Issue Types" is overriding the permissions assignment of specific issue types.

I have tried assigning "All Unassigned Issue Types" to its own workflow which allows time tracking whilst leaving specific issues in the "with time tracking" and "without time tracking" workflows but jira.permission.work.denied is still ignored.

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2018

If you're on Cloud like me there is an outstanding bug that causes this property to be ignored in certain cases. We're still waiting for a fix. I can't even remember all of the details, but overall, workflows with certain properties (this one included) on them aren't being honored.

Like Mouli likes this
Ryan Gandy May 10, 2018

I am on cloud. Thanks for the heads up Paul.

Can't tell you how many hours I have spent checking and rechecking my settings to try to get this to work.

Like Mouli likes this
Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2018

I can't begin to tell you how long we've been waiting for a fix to this problem;). I'd have to spend time looking that one up. I probably created that thread somewhere in here. I'm watching the atlassian bug that the note here probably points to.

Like # people like this
shubham gupta May 25, 2018

HI,

Is this issue fixed? I am facing the same issue. 

Max Cascone October 18, 2018

I just tried this, and while it's a hassle to have to create a whole new workflow, and manually enter the property into each transition - it seems to work. Even if it doesn't work 100%, it's still going to prevent most of the avenues for incorrectly-placed estimates or work logs. 

FWIW i copied the existing workflow, applied it to the appropriate issue types, and added the property to every workflow transition. I still had to remove the field from the the create/edit screens of the issues, but now there doesn't seem to be a way to log time to them. I'm sure Nic Brough would say we're doing it wrong, but it works for us.

1 vote
Edward Koh January 14, 2021

we are in cloud and i just added the jira.permission.work.denied to every status in our issue-type-specific workflow. seems to hide the "Log Work" option in the UI as we wanted. great solution!

1 vote
Dima Rastaturin November 11, 2019

I am on the Cloud, and it's not working at all for us. Seems like Atlassian is not paying any attention to this. 

1 vote
Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2018

For people looking for a more general solution, you can achieve this by using "Worklog Verification" script feature of WorklogPRO. There are sample scripts in our repository but If you need a custom script, please let me know, we can write it together. 

0 votes
shivamdu November 23, 2018

Does jira.permission.work.denied property solution still work? we are on Server

Thomas Rohrer January 30, 2019

I can tell that NO.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2019

Eh?  It's still working here on 7.13

Thomas Rohrer January 30, 2019

My bad :-/ It is works.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 19, 2012

Not really. Permissions are done at a project level, not issue type, so the "can log work" permissions follow that and can't be done on a per-issue bases.

You could try to use javascript to remove the work-log from the screens on the issue types you don't want it, but I suspect the users would still be able to get to it via different routes.

Suggest an answer