Best way to get HTML Help topics into Confluence? (And repurposing)

DavidH July 26, 2012

We have an HTML help system that runs inside our industrial software.

I'm transferring the Help topic pages to individual pages in Confluence. The HTML include macro won't work here because no one has set up our Confluence server to have HTTP access to the content management server where the HTML pages are.

Using the HTML macro seems to leave graphics and hyperlinks behind.

Does anyone have any good workflow tips or recommendations. Would copying the HTML topics to the Confluence server allow Confluence to include the HTML pages (without a web server running on the Confluence server also)?

Without some kind of sharing, I'm going to be pasting into Confluence pages, which leaves something to be desired.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2012

@docpro

As you also questioned -

I do not think just copying the HTML into Confluence - even using the HTML macro - is going to give you the ultimate solution you need, for a repeatable online help context-sensitive links documentation process.

Maybe if you are in a rush and small help docset - you could do this quickly, manually, with some hacking a bit - and meet your date, assuming the admin fixes the html access issue. It is really easy for your admin to enable this - but they might not want to. Also yes, image links probably need to also be fixed for remote access or move the images into Confluence and reset them. Likely your navigation also breaks with this approach - so, again, not ideal process, for ongoing updates.

Assuming you do have time, to repurpose this longer term, here's some references to help you -

Hope these help -

Best,

Ellen

DavidH July 29, 2012

Thanks Ellen for that great summary of information on this issue.

In this instance, because the online Help was small (35 topics), I pasted from HTML authoring tool (MS Expression Web 4) into Confluence pages. I uploaded image files as attachments to one Confluence page. I relinked the images to the topic pages, helped by the search in the image insertion dialog. I rebuilt the hyperlinks.

I'm going to check out all the references supplied above to figure out a more scalable, automatic method for my next project.

0 votes
Elizabeth May 21, 2015

AppFusions' plugin Doxygen for Atlassian Confluence is another way/consideration worth looking into. https://www.appfusions.com/display/DOXYGEN/Home 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uISYPvAoegk

0 votes
Marissa McDowell June 20, 2013

@docpro were you ever able to find a more scalable method to do this? I'm currently attempting something similar

0 votes
CharlesH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2012
I'd suggest you consider using the SOAP remote API to programmatically add the HTML topics as pages into Confluence. To be exact you'd add the content of the body tags as the content of the new page. You could also manipulate the image references to pick these up as attachments from the page, otherwise you'd need to amend these manually after the import.
0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2012

You can place directly the HTML pages in Confluence app. After all, confluence is just an web application.

I answered that once, but I cannot find the answer; the results will be nicely decorated (try to place a html page under confluence and see what's happening).

The downside of this is that you cannot search the pages, nor track the changes.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2012
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2012

Yeap, thanks Renjith !

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events