Ramprasad Prabhakar August 16, 2011

We noticed that Jira 4.4 has support for avatar image.

Our Jira logins use SSO id of the form 55442. we already have images available for each user in our internal directory (URL is of the pattern: http://mydirectory.mycompany.com/images/55442.jpg). Is it possible to make use of this for all the users automatically instead of the users having to re-upload their profile images ?

2 answers

0 votes
chandrasekhar@customerxps.com September 12, 2012

hi Ramprasad ,

i have an issue after migrating from atlassian jira 4.1.2 to 5.1.4 there is issue that we could update user avatar in user profile, tried updating in database could not update , avatar table in our data base , please any procedure to flow for this change to accomplish .

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2011

Avatar information is stored in DB. So you can probably write some scripts to assign the avatars to the correct users!

thanks Jobin. so, which DB/tables would I need to update ? could it be a img src, instead of an ID/filename ?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2011

The avatar itself is stored under JIRA_HOME/data/avatar. The avatar table has the new avatar details and user mapped to it.

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2011

Your are right. It is the avatar id and it points to an image in JIRA's home dir. You might have to bulk store the images and update DB to do a bulk mapping!

Jobin: We do not want to store the avatar. Instead, we would liek to refer all avatars to an existing avatar image on another server...

I think avatar in the DB is an avatar ID, pointing to the image file on jira and not a link to it, which would have been easier to update

Ramprasad Prabhakar August 17, 2011

Jobin: would have any information on what tables I can change to assign some avatar to a user.

Once the avatar is applied, I think I can setup rewrite rule in apache, to point the avatar image link (say, secure/useravatar?size=large&ownerId=94849484&avatarId=10150) to my image on the other server

Suggest an answer