cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crucible Not Sending Email Notifications, but Fisheye sending Watch Emails

John Werner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2012

We are having some issues with our Crucible/Fisheye installation. Crucible review notifications for all users have stopped working. Fisheye repository notification emails still work.

Here are some more symptoms:

• Review notifications were working (to the point people got annoyed by the amount of email).
  • If I go into a review, I can "Email Review" from the Tools menu and it works
  • If I try "Send Reminder" it does not work

What I have done so far

• Restarted Crucible/Fisheye
  • Examined the logs (there is not much I can see there)
  • "Googled" for possible answers

Installation Specifics

• Crucible/Fisheye Ver 2.7.11 running Windows Server 2003 (x86)
  • Sun Java 1.6.0_26

I'm sure I am missing something very obvious...

10 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Werner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2012

After much work with Atlassian support, we finally found an answer that worked very well for us, although it may not work well for others in similar situtations.

The solution for our particular case was migrating from Windows as the host OS to Linux.

It was actually quite amazing how we found it: Our development team had been planning to migrate the Crucible install from a shared Windows machine to a dedicated Linux machine. As part of the process, I installed Crucible on the Linux box and imported a snapshot of the database from the original Windows machine. As soon as I did that, several *hundred* notification emails started spewing from the machine. The notifications had been queuing in the database waiting to be sent for over two months.

We never did resolve the issue with the Windows install of Crucible, but it stopped being a problem for us as we completed the migration within a week and haven't looked back.

2 votes
Zitrax August 11, 2015

I am currently having the same problem. What I have observed:

• The "send test email" works
  • "Sharing" a review on email works
  • But there are no automatic notifications (I have not seen a single email except those that I triggered from the above two points)
  • The log contains info about the working emails above, but nothing about trying to send anything else.
  • I ran the query as described here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/FISHKB/Email+Notifications+Not+Being+Sent It also only lists those emails that worked. Thus no emails in the queue as I understand it.
  • Restarted the service multiple times with no change

To me it appears as if automatic notifications are disabled, but I have not found any setting for enabling/disabling notifications.

(On Windows with JIRA 6.1.6 and Crucible 3.9.0)

Any ideas ?

1 vote
onstottj April 15, 2014

I had this same problem. Restarting my Fisheye / Crucible server did the trick. You've probably already tried that though.

jcurleyWR
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 16, 2014

Restarting the server worked for us, too. Thank you Jon.

1 vote
Grace Lee December 17, 2012

We had similar problem:

• Review notifications were working: people on the review received email when someone else added a comment, did something for that review. Then suddenly less than a month ago, it stopped working
  • However, if I go into a review, I can "Email Review" from the Tools menu and it works.

We're running on Linux.

Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2013

We too have the same problem.

We migrated from Linux to Windows due to company policy 1 year ago. But the migration did not affect emails at all.

Fisheye / Crucible runs on Windows Server 2008 R2
DB is on MSSQL 2005

Ever since the upgrade from 2.10.4 to 3.0.3, emails works exactly like @Grace's scenario.

We enabled email debug logs, and even the logs didn't capture the not-sent-emails. Which we suspect that the Crucible lost that email event some how and not sending the email entirely than failed sending one.

0 votes
Omar McIver June 14, 2018

We had a similar issue with test emails being sent, but no others.

We found this issue was because of the "FROM" address used. We are used to JIRA and Bamboo sending emails from a fixed email address "donotreply@ourdomain.com". FishEye/Crucible sends out using the email address of the individual "my.username@ourdomain.com". Our SMTP settings were strict enough that it would not allow "FROM" any address other than those whitelisted.

So you can either whitelist your personal emails, or under the Server settings, you can edit the Mail Config and there is an option to "Send emails from...'the Server address'".

This got our emails flowing again.

0 votes
Martin Cassidy July 7, 2015

I experienced this problem also. No crucible related emails were being sent. Emails from fish eye were fine (email notifications on watched directories were working). Also the "send test email" tool on the server admin page worked as well. Fisheye/Crucible is running on Windows.

I restarted the windows service and emails then started sending again. Even those that should have been sent a couple of days earlier arrived.

0 votes
Alec Clowes February 21, 2013

For us, adding an application link stopped the emails because we were denying connections from 127.0.0.1. Adding the localhost IP to Application Links -> Incoming connections tab started the emails flowing again.

Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2013

Which type of application links are you talking about? I would like to know how you did it and try it on my side. Thanks.

0 votes
Michał Borek January 29, 2013

I've got the same problem.

Have you found the solution?

Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 10, 2013

We too have the same problem.

Fisheye / Crucible runs on Windows Server 2008 R2 and DB is hosted on MSSQL 2005.

Ever since the upgrade from 2.10.4 to 3.0.3, emails works exactly like @Grace's scenario.

We enabled email debug logs, and even the logs didn't capture the not-sent-emails. Which we suspect that the Crucible lost that email event some how and not sending the email entirely than failed sending one.

0 votes
Felipe Kraemer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2012

Hi John,

According to this document, Crucible should automatically send reviewers a reminder email one working day before the deadline.

And also, only reviewers whose work is still pending will be notified, instead of everyone to avoid spamming.

As it's also mentioned in that document, the Send Reminder setting is only available if the review has a due date set, and that the Notify Pending Reviewers capability will only notify those participants who are authorised to summarize the review.

Please let us know if this helps!

Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2014

After restarting Crucible / fisheye, all the queued emails got sent and some users receive hundreds of them.

0 votes
LeonardoL
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 9, 2012

Hi John,

You can try to configure the users which are reviewers and/or participants of the project? Crucible send notifications for all users configured like reviewers and participants of a project. So could you please go to Crucible Admin -> Projects -> for the related project please click over Crucible Settings "Edit" button -> Then define users and/or groups which are "Default Reviewers" and also users and/or groups which are "Allowed Review Participants" -> Finally click save and test notifications again. I think this is what you're looking for.

Cheers,

Leonardo

John Werner
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2012

There were actually default reviewers for the projects in question. Working with Atlassian Support, we did find an answer that worked for us, but may not for others... switch to Linux for the host OS.

LeonardoL
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2012

Good to hear you found your answer!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events