Select from versions of another project

Ashton Treadway June 12, 2012

Hello:

I'd like to set up a field so that the values are versions from a different project. The use case is a documentation project that does work for many other projects.

In documentation issues, we'd like to specify that the issue relates to version X of project Y. Is there an elegant way to do this?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2012

Hi Ashton ,

A possible solution is to provide a select list which will show all the versions from all the projects , but what if the user does not has permissions for a particular project or if versions with same name exists within different projects ?

You can provide 2 customfields , one a project picker other a select list or a version picker . when user selects a project from the project picker the options in the version picker will show versions of that project .

For this you will have to write a server side script using the behaviours plugin . There is a similar script example which you can refer

Saurabh Sahni June 12, 2017

Hi Mizan, can you help me with this. I am using project picker field and want to populate version picker list for that project?

0 votes
Remie Bolte
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2013

@Ashton: I don't know if this is still an issue for you, but we have just launched our Version Sync add-on for JIRA to the Marketplace that will do exactly this. It will automatically keep versions in sync between multiple projects, where you have one "Master" project and an unlimited number of linked projects to which version changes are propgated.

Support NEOFI April 19, 2017

And for cloud..?

CollabSoft April 19, 2017

Support for JIRA Cloud is still under investigation. The main 'problem' is that due to security reasons, Atlassian Connect (the Cloud add-on architecture) does not allow UI-hijacking for JIRA features such as the Versions, Components and project administration screens . This complicates porting the add-on to JIRA Cloud as an important feature is the ability to block users from adding new versions or components for projects that have been linked and for which synchronisation is enabled.

Scott Federman September 30, 2017

Okay so I'm using this plugin and while i like most of it, it shows duplicate versions in the child projects (one version from the feature project and one from the child project). How can i hide the duplicate version from the feature project that appears in the child project?

CollabSoft September 30, 2017

Hi @Scott Federman, are you using Version & Component Sync for Jira? If so, I would be happy to help you sort this out with you if you raise a support request for the add-on (http://support.collabsoft.net)

Scott Federman September 30, 2017

Thank you. I have submitted SUPPORT-249 for this. 

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 11, 2020

@Support NEOFI, to sync Versions between projects on Jira cloud you can use our Marketplace app Version Sync for Jira.

Don't hesitate to get in touch with our support team if you have questions or feedback.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2020

Hi @Marlene Kegel - codefortynine 

Thanks for proposing a solution here for Cloud.  However I have to ask that you review our Atlassian Community online guidelines for Marketplace vendors and Solution Partners.  Specifically, it is against our guidelines to necropost on these threads older than 6 months for the purpose of promoting your product.

I've elected to leave your response on this thread, because it does at least offer a potential solution for Cloud here, which is what the user was asking for.  However the other threads older than 6 months where you have pasted this same response I have removed from the site.

Cheers,

Andy

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer