Workflow for Security Issues?

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2012

Has anyone found utility in creating a JIRA issuetype & workflow specifically for security issues or is it easier to use custom fields & the right post functions, etc?

For security-related issues, phrases such as ISO-2700 governance come to mind…

Security issues can be triaged differently... something where having a unique workflow has use. I am also thinking that issue security might be easier to manage.

A security issue may be determined to be a defect or a configuration (just two possibilities). Should the issue type be then changed to defect or configuration if these respective issue types have their own distinct workflows? When it comes to reporting, I do note that JQL does not support CHANGED or WAS operators for the Type field.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2012

I've just used the existing stuff - custom issue types to hang different workflows, fields and screens on.

Separately, I've used simple custom fields to do the "was of type" reporting - setting a simple read-only field to some flag on issue creation and not allowing edit means you can always report on the original type.

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 7, 2012

As I commented in this Workflow Sharing question, it would be nice to see people using the new workflow sharing plugin to post workflow bundles on Marketplace. Not just for security issues... pretty much anything that is possible vis-à-vis workflow now seems to be effectively in reach now. No more pain with migrating from a dev to a live system, or making sure that multiple servers are all using the same workflow.

Of course, being able to share a workflow is not quite the same thing as knowing whether the process (ideas) encapsulated in the workflow are a "good thing". That's what I was trying to find out by asking this question.

Having said that, the workaround for tracking changes to issuetype is useful. An improvement to JQL would be better... I found this improvement issue JRA-27070 and added a comment.

Suggest an answer