integrating JIRA 4.2.1 and JIRA 4.3.3

Venkatesh Bn June 6, 2012

I want to integrate 2 JIRA instances through email, one uses Jira 4.2.1 and the other uses 4.3.3.

Please provide your thoughts.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2012
0 votes
parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2012

Thanks for the context.

You don’t have to rely on emails to do that they rely on notifications , you can use listeners in JIRA

https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Plugin+Tutorial+-+Writing+JIRA+event+listeners+with+the+atlassian-event+library

within your listeners you can use any method/mechanism you prefer to keep what you want to keep in sync

Venkatesh Bn June 10, 2012

i want all the issues created in one instance of (JIRA-1) to be in sync with the JIRA-2.

Also, how to process the incoming mails to JIRA-2, that triggers from JIRA-1 when an issue is created/updated in JIRA-1?

I want to do the same in vice versa also, i.e, process the incoming mails to JIRA-1, that triggers from JIRA-2 when an issue is created/updated in JIRA-1?

How to map the custom fields?

Is it possible using the listeners.

Above, people are advicing to use JEMH & CLI !!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2012

It depends on what you want to do, how complex it is, and whether you've got the resources to write the listeners.

You can do this "integration" without any code really, by setting up a simple loop where one Jira uses the standard notifications to include the send of mail to the other Jira, which is then configured to use the standard create-or-comment handlers to update its own side. This is very basic, but does work. All it can do is comment though, there's no way to amend fields, progress issues etc. To build on it, you need something more complex. JEMH is an excellent extension for email that does allow you to do significantly more clever updates. It might be able to do what you need. If it doesn't, then you need to write listeners that will cope with the incoming data and do more updates based on that. If you're using listeners (or the CLI), then you aren't limited to using email as the data exchange transport, you can look at other methods.

Venkatesh Bn June 10, 2012

Nic Thanks a lot for the suggestion.

I am very much new to JEMH.

Regarding Custom Fields:::

My custom fields are different in each of the JIRA instances.

i.e. in instance1 if i have a field called type_id it has to be mapped with problem_id in the instance 2.

Similiary i have lot of fields to map.

Regarding emails::::::

The body of the mail received from the JIRA-2 instance to JIRA-1 is in XML format.

So, the JIRA-1 instance has to process the email send by JIRA-2, and send back the response as email.

For the above 2 scenarios, will JEMH will be helpful for me?

If not, give your thoughts.

To sumup everything in a single line, all i am going to do is create a middleman who talks with 2 JIRA instances and does the following

1) process the data whatever the two JIRA instances sends.

2) to keep both the instances in SYNC (updated).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2012

Hmm. Well, the built-in email handlers only do create and comment.

To work with fields, you do need something more advanced, and that's where we reach for JEMH - that can be configured to draw field information out of emails. I don't think there's any question that if you're going to do this with email, then you need that functionality.

Howver, I really don't know how well it will handle xml. It's more aimed at emails that humans might generate and we don't usually type in xml a lot. I've not tried it though, and I'd certainly recommend having a go - it might even be happier with xml than human!

It does sound like you've got a lot to do though - it may well be that JEMH is close to what you need, but not quite there. If you're throwing xml emails around, then you may well find it easier to write your own.

Venkatesh Bn June 12, 2012

Its cool Nic.

Could you give me your thoughts for the below.

1) We are a corporate and we are running JIRA 4.2.1, what will be the cost of JEMH?

2) What will be the version of JEMH we have to use for JIRA 4.2.1?

3) Will it updates the status of an issue based on the incoming email? - i.e changing the status to closed, work-in-progress etc?

4) Not sure of the updates because, i am new to JEMH.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2012

It's all covered at https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JEMH/JEMH+Home (and the answer to 3 is "yes")

Venkatesh Bn June 12, 2012

As per the compatibility from the below link, it is advised to use JEMH -0.96-2 for JIRA 4.2.

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JEMH/6+-+Compatibility

Are you sure that the JEMH 0.9.6.2 will have all the capabilities which i am looking for?

i.e creating, updating issues through email handling.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2012

why not trying it out for yourself on a test instance ? Make a little bit of homework by yourself. You can only learn by doing this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2012

I think Thomas-S is right here - you're at a point where you could explain in great detail what you think you need to do, and hope one of us has the time and energy to read it all and try to work out an answer.

Or try it for yourself (and ask again if you get stuck)

0 votes
Venkatesh Bn June 6, 2012

one instance has certain custom fields, another has certain custom fields, both of the JIRA instances has to interchange the issue details, updates of the issue, through email. i.e both has to be in sync.

For Example

1) if an issue is created in Instance 1, a mail will be triggered and using that email, Instance 2 will create an issue there.

2) Also, if there is a update for an issue in Insance1 then a mail will be triggered to Instance 2 which will update the same issue in Instance 2.

Hope it clears !!

0 votes
parthiban subramaniam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2012

integrate what through email?

Suggest an answer