Sourcetree: How can I compare (diff) files from arbitrary commits ?

Oleg Detinin June 6, 2012

Repo is git.

Can not find this option. I see the option to compare file with its parent, but how can I compare any given file with a file from a selected commit ?

1 answer

1 accepted

27 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2012

Just select 2 commits in the log at once using Cmd-Click, then you'll see the complete diff between those two commits.

If you want to filter things down further you can right-click on a file, click 'Log Selected' to get the history just for that file, and then again multi-select commits in that window.

Oleg Detinin June 6, 2012

Thank you very much !

Lin Luo September 9, 2014

Follow-up question: how to use ExternalDiff to view the diff as provided in the above approach?

Bronius Motekaitis February 26, 2015

@Lin Luo I can still see External Diff on one file at a time in the arbitrary diffs view. Click on one file within the composite diff, and cmd-click > External Diff as always.

amalo1985 June 8, 2015

Follow-up question: Selecting two commit in the log at once work correct, but it occurs often that the selected commit are lost while viewing the diff (it returns to the uncommited changes). Would there be a way to open a new windows with the diff of the selected two commits? Thanks!

Like Waldek Gorajek likes this
Daniel Luevano November 15, 2016

How can I do this on windows? I want to see the differences between two commits on all files involved.

mdolnik July 5, 2017
Like # people like this
Pan Shanshan July 3, 2019

Thank you very mach.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events