confluence suddenly unusable -- java error

Brendon Baumgartner May 21, 2012

Came to work today and got this. Restarted confluence, and still getting this. Strange. We upgraded to 4.2.2 about 3 days ago... everything was okay until this morning.

System Error

A system error has occurred — our apologies!

For immediate troubleshooting, consult our knowledge base for a solution.

If you would like to receive support from Atlassian's support team, ask your Confluence administrator to create a support issue on Atlassian's support system with the following information:

a description of your problem and what you were doing at the time it occurred

a copy of the error and system information found below

a copy of the application logs (if possible).

Your Confluence administrator can use the support request form to create a support ticket which will include this information.

We will respond as promptly as possible.

Thank you!

Return to site homepage…

The SystemInformationService could not be retrieved from the container. Therefore very limited information is available in this error report.

The SystemInformationService could not be retrieved due to the following error: java.lang.NullPointerException

Cause

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:152)

caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.atlassian.spring.container.ContainerManager.getComponent(ContainerManager.java:33)

Stack Trace: hide

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:152)

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:115)

at com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.LanguageExtractionFilter.getLocaleManager(LanguageExtractionFilter.java:63)

at com.atlassian.confluence.web.filter.LanguageExtractionFilter.doFilter(LanguageExtractionFilter.java:48)

at com.atlassian.core.filters.AbstractHttpFilter.doFilter(AbstractHttpFilter.java:31)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)

at com.atlassian.confluence.util.RequestCacheThreadLocalFilter.doFilter(RequestCacheThreadLocalFilter.java:25)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:235)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)

at com.atlassian.core.filters.HeaderSanitisingFilter.doFilter(HeaderSanitisingFilter.java:44)

at com.atlassian.confluence.servlet.FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.doFilter(FourOhFourErrorLoggingFilter.java:65)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:859)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.atlassian.spring.container.ContainerManager.getComponent(ContainerManager.java:33)

at com.atlassian.confluence.util.LazyComponentReference$Accessor.get(LazyComponentReference.java:44)

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.Lazy$Strong.create(Lazy.java:88)

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$Sync.run(LazyReference.java:326)

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:146)

... 25 more

Referer URL

Unknown

9 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Grzegorz Korba August 19, 2012

We had same problem here, but we did nothing (maybe our administrators, but we don't know it), Confluence suddenly went down (Error 503). Restarting did nothing, I had to reboot whole machine. Then "Oops page" showed up and I couldn't realize what's wrong.

At logs I found something like "Can't retrieve build information - no SystemInformationService available." and other weird informations about "com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException". So I've just listed my confluence directory and I saw:

testwww1:/usr/local/confluence-data# ls -al
total 152
drwx--S---  19 confluence confluence  4096 2012-08-20 10:27 
(...)
drwxr-sr-x   2 root       confluence  4096 2012-07-10 15:41 plugins-cache

(Our) Confluence is running with confluence user, so permissions were wrong (without writing for group). When I changed owner with:

chown -R confluence:confluence confluence
chown -R confluence:confluence confluence-data

and restarted Confluence with

/etc/init.d/confluence restart

it raised up and is working. Hope you will find it useful :)

Luzia Mendes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2012

I had this problem after installing Confluence 4.2. I ran the installer with root which should had created a confluence user and group and set the permissions accordingly.

But all my folders were owned by root:root. Did this

chown - R confluence:confluence /opt/atlassian/*
chown - R confluence:confluence /var/atlassian/*

And it's now running

Rafael Schwemmer June 11, 2013

I had the same problem and this fixed it. Thanks, Grzegorz!

kgadek September 23, 2014

That was it for me as well. Thank you!

AndrewP October 13, 2014

Where is this change made?

Ramsey McGrath December 18, 2014

^ In the terminal

Rahul Savaikar February 25, 2015

Thank you very much - this worked for me. I had accidentally started Confluence using the root which caused issues as the ownership of some of the files including catalina.out changed.

i.colonius September 15, 2015

Thanks a bunch, that helped me as well!

kconti April 6, 2016

Helped me as well.  The problem started after the server was rsync'd to a new host and lost the permissions.  Changing ownershipt to the folders above worked like a charm.

4 votes
Brendon Baumgartner October 13, 2012
The problem was a DNS issue. I remember something about DNS suddenly broke. Fixed that and was all good. The SQL and java in this case are on seperate servers.
1 vote
Soichi Hayashi September 27, 2012

I just saw the same error message. I am using Confluence v4.1.5 on RHEL5.

caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

I just restarted confluence and problem went away. I am using replicated MySQL db - but we are hitting only one of the DB (JDBC failover doesn't work with confluence)

1 vote
Azwandi Mohd Aris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2012

Instead of relying on this stack trace, you need to find the atlassian-confluence.log, which should contain more detailed information about the error message. This file can be found in your <confluence-home>/logs directory (do not confuse this with <confluence-installation>/logs directory). See this page for detailed instructions to find the log.

0 votes
Gerrit Griebel March 17, 2015

Same issue on Windows: Tried to start the confluence service while some leftover java process was still holding file locks on various files like tomcat log files. Process Explorer from systinternals helped to find and kill the java process which was no longer visible in windows task manager. I stumbled over it when I realized, that I could not delete log files while service was down.

0 votes
Suzana Djurcilov April 7, 2014

I was getting the same error message for yet another reason: we moved the VM which was used as a the Confluence server to another machine and ended up with a different IP address. The database configuration file for Postgres needed to be updated to reflect the new one in the pg_hba.conf file.

Bottom line: java.lang.NullPointerException doesn't mean much other than that the server is having trouble putting together the page using the database, whether it be permissions, user account issues or database server problems.

0 votes
leonizm August 20, 2012

I experienced this same error and it turn out it was because the oracle account was locked. Unlocking the Oracle account for Confluence resolved the problem.

0 votes
Julien Briand June 9, 2012

I have exactly the same issue.

I installed Confluence since few days already and I get the same error message this morning.

Here the details from the log:

Jun 10, 2012 12:59:48 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve custom

SEVERE: Exception Processing ErrorPage[errorCode=500, location=/500page.jsp]

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: org.springframework.transaction.CannotCreateTransactionException: Could not open Hibernate Session for transaction; nested exception is net.sf.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: Cannot open connection

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:500)

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:428)

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:313)

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:260)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)

at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.IteratingFilterChain.doFilter(IteratingFilterChain.java:46)

at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:77)

at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:63)

at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.IteratingFilterChain.doFilter(IteratingFilterChain.java:46)

at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:77)

at com.atlassian.plugin.servlet.filter.ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.doFilter(ServletFilterModuleContainerFilter.java:63)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:646)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:438)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:374)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:302)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.custom(StandardHostValve.java:421)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.status(StandardHostValve.java:342)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.throwable(StandardHostValve.java:286)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:141)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:298)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:859)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:588)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:489)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Caused by: org.springframework.transaction.CannotCreateTransactionException: Could not open Hibernate Session for transaction; nested exception is net.sf.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: Cannot open connection

at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateTransactionManager.doBegin(HibernateTransactionManager.java:473)

at org.springframework.transaction.support.AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.getTransaction(AbstractPlatformTransactionManager.java:374)

at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionAspectSupport.createTransactionIfNecessary(TransactionAspectSupport.java:263)

at org.springframework.transaction.interceptor.TransactionInterceptor.invoke(TransactionInterceptor.java:101)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)

at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)

at $Proxy0.retrieve(Unknown Source)

at com.atlassian.confluence.setup.bandana.ConfluenceCachingBandanaPersister.retrieve(ConfluenceCachingBandanaPersister.java:65)

at com.atlassian.bandana.DefaultBandanaManager.getValue(DefaultBandanaManager.java:32)

at com.atlassian.bandana.DefaultBandanaManager.getValue(DefaultBandanaManager.java:24)

at com.atlassian.confluence.core.DatabaseSidManager.getSid(DatabaseSidManager.java:44)

at com.atlassian.confluence.status.service.DefaultSystemInformationService.getConfluenceInfo(DefaultSystemInformationService.java:84)

at org.apache.jsp._500page_jsp._jspService(_500page_jsp.java:225)

at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:386)

... 40 more

Caused by: net.sf.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: Cannot open connection

at net.sf.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.handledNonSpecificException(SQLStateConverter.java:80)

at net.sf.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.convert(SQLStateConverter.java:69)

at net.sf.hibernate.exception.JDBCExceptionHelper.convert(JDBCExceptionHelper.java:29)

at net.sf.hibernate.impl.BatcherImpl.convert(BatcherImpl.java:328)

at net.sf.hibernate.impl.BatcherImpl.openConnection(BatcherImpl.java:295)

at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.connect(SessionImpl.java:3375)

at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.connection(SessionImpl.java:3335)

at org.springframework.orm.hibernate.HibernateTransactionManager.doBegin(HibernateTransactionManager.java:422)

... 55 more

Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Connections could not be acquired from the underlying database!

at com.mchange.v2.sql.SqlUtils.toSQLException(SqlUtils.java:106)

at com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.C3P0PooledConnectionPool.checkoutPooledConnection(C3P0PooledConnectionPool.java:529)

at com.mchange.v2.c3p0.impl.AbstractPoolBackedDataSource.getConnection(AbstractPoolBackedDataSource.java:128)

at net.sf.hibernate.connection.C3P0ConnectionProvider.getConnection(C3P0ConnectionProvider.java:33)

at net.sf.hibernate.impl.BatcherImpl.openConnection(BatcherImpl.java:292)

... 58 more

Caused by: com.mchange.v2.resourcepool.CannotAcquireResourceException: A ResourcePool could not acquire a resource from its primary factory or source.

at com.mchange.v2.resourcepool.BasicResourcePool.awaitAvailable(BasicResourcePool.java:1319)

at com.mchange.v2.resourcepool.BasicResourcePool.prelimCheckoutResource(BasicResourcePool.java:557)

at com.mchange.v2.resourcepool.BasicResourcePool.checkoutResource(BasicResourcePool.java:477)

at com.mchange

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2012
Hi,

maybe this will help you: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/21730/upgrading-from-4-0-rc7-to-4-1-m5-r2-encountered-a-system-error-on-first-start

If not, you should contact official Atlassian Support

Good Luck

Thomas

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events