How does the burndown chart can match a specific workflow

Ivaylo Stoukanyov May 7, 2012

My problem is that I have a workflow containing 5 steps in a row: (Backlog, In Progress, Done, Integration testing, System Testing) and I am using GreenHopper as well.

After an issue goes into Done in the above workflow, I would like my Burndown chart to indicate this issue as closed, but nevertheless I can still proceed with this issue in the "In Integration Testing" column and so on.

Please help.

Thank you in advance!

Iv

4 answers

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2012

You need to set the Resolution state in the post function of the transistion which moves the issue to Done.

Ivaylo Stoukanyov May 7, 2012

10x, but can you be more specific? How this will affect my burndown chart or may be the right question is: based on what, the burndown chart is downgrade the "number of issues" line?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2012

The burn down is indeed based on whether the issue is resolved or not and that is determined just by the status of the 'Resolution' field. So if you set this value in your post condition, you are essentially telling Jira/GH that the issue is done.

0 votes
Damian Paul May 20, 2016

You will have to move "DONE" to the far right column. Since JIRA only classes issues as done and therefore affects the burndown when an issue is transition to the column on the right hand side 

e.g. 

• The mapping of statuses to your board determines when an issue is considered "To Do" or "Done". See Configuring Columns for more information.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile067/jira-agile-user-s-guide/using-a-board/using-reports/viewing-the-burndown-chart

0 votes
Christen Lorensen June 24, 2013
I have the same problem, but Greenhopper is a bit different now. Do you have a sollution for it now?
0 votes
Ivaylo Stoukanyov May 8, 2012

Thank you for your answer Renjith!

Please tell me what should be the resolution that mark the issue as closed?

So let me explain the problem that I have again (sorry for that):

I have 5 basic steps on my workflow:

Open --> In Progress --> Integraton Testing (Close) --> System Testing --> Done

Basically I want the first three of these steps to represent the original Scrum board (Backlog, InProgres, Done) and when the issue pass from "In Progress" to "Integraton Testing", this transition to triger an event that will tell GH (burndown cart) to lower the number of unresolved issues (green line goes down).

So far, so good, but I want this issue to be operateable and to be able to transit through the other steps ("System Testing" and "Done").

Can you please tell me what to do in this specific case.

I appriciate your kindnes for spending your time with my issue.

Thank you once again!

Iv

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2012
  • Open the workflow editor for this workflow
  • In the post functions of the transistion from 'In Progress' to 'Integration Testing' add the post function 'Update Issue Field'.
  • Select 'Resolution', and set the value as 'Fixed'
  • Publish the workfow.

Remember, this change will be applicable for new issues transistioning to 'Integration Testing'. Tthose issues which are already in Integration Testing, will not have this resolution set since the workflow wasnt doing it before. So you need to have an additional transistion with source and destination as 'Integration Testing' and that transistion do the post function as explained above.

Ivaylo Stoukanyov May 8, 2012

Hi there,

Well I did exactly the same, but it doesn't affect my burndown chart =(.

Below is my Workflow and I am adding the resolution "Fixed" into the transiton between InProgress and Resolved [Reslove(71)]

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2012

And in your taskboard, is the Status 'Resolved' mapped to the 'Done' column (which I am not sure whether it matters) ?

And I am not also sure whether you need to update the 'Remaining Estimate' to zero in the same tranistion that you are setting the Resolution to Fixed. Please give this a try.

Ivaylo Stoukanyov May 9, 2012

First I would like to thank you for spending your time on my problem! I appriciate this!

Here is my task board mapping, and if you need some more info that I could provide to you, please tell me.

B/w setting the resolution to fixed doesn't work and updating "remaining estimate" to zero too =(

If you can simulate my flow somehow it will be helpful I suppose.

Ivaylo Stoukanyov May 9, 2012
samo-vremenno this is my skype name, if you want, add me and I'll provide you with my flow on xml file

Suggest an answer