Is there a way to limit the issue types that a user in a particular group can create?

Jason Vou May 3, 2012

I'm using JIRA 5.0 and am wondering if there is a way to limit a user's ability to create certain issue types.

Here is my example.

JIRA groups: jira-client, jira-product_owner, jira-developer, jira-qa

JIRA issue types: ticket, epic, user story, bug, enhancement, test case, technical task (sub-task)

Issue Types breakdown by role:

jira-client: ticket

jira-product_owner: ticket, epic, user story, bug, enhancement

jira-developer: epic, user story, bug, enhancement, technical task (sub-task)

jira-qa: bug, enhancement, test case

Is there a way to limit their visibility to create these issue types according to the above mapping? For instance, users in the jira-client group can only create tickets and users in the jira-qa group can only create bug, enhancement, and test case issue types.

I did notice an Issue Security Scheme which you can set on creating of an issue type which after it has been created, depending on what those scheme settings are, the user cannot see or modify that issue currently being created.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Please let me know if I can help clarify in any way.

Thanks,

Jason

6 answers

1 vote
Brian Begy July 24, 2014

This is a must-have.

0 votes
Alejandro Conde Carrillo
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2013

This is a feature request which was marked as won't fix so unfortunately this will not be implemented any soon. The link to the ticket is JRA-5865.

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 25, 2012

Hi Jason,

I believe this feature is not possible to be configured in current JIRA version. I notice there is a feature request raised in Atlassian, please see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-2764 for more details. I suggest you to vote on it for popularity issue and add yourself in watch list to keep you updated in future.

0 votes
Bastien
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2012

Hi Jason, have you tried the Issue Security Scheme on Jira ? It could help you.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

time around it can be implemt by using javascript and REST

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Hi Jason, I believe this isn't possible to do. But I found a post in the forum where it's an explanation of a possible workaround. Here it is the link:

http://forums.atlassian.com/thread.jspa?messageID=257250857

Hope this helps!

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Sorry, that links to this one. Here is the possible workaround:

http://forums.atlassian.com/thread.jspa?messageID=257250857

Jason Vou May 3, 2012

Ramiro,

Thanks, I'll take a look. Just FYI, the link on your answer and comment for the answer appear to be the same.

Jason

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Yes it was, my bad, I now deleted the comment.

ROGER PICKETT January 27, 2014

Ramiro,

This link doesn't work. Please update.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 27, 2014

Sadly I can't find that thread again, but here @Amineexplains other workaround:

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/33259/permission-to-create-specific-issue-type

Suggest an answer