How do i allow JIRA administrators to edit closed issues without reopening them?

Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2012

As a project manager, I will be the project lead in JIRA naturually, also owns administrative permissions to the JIRA project I manage.

Say I have a group of 15 developers, as their project manager, I normally have to correct Fixed version/s on their closed issues.

How can I do this easily?

I have played abit with the workflow, which we're currently using the default JIRA workflow and with the property of Closed state, jira.issue.editable set to true, would only allow all closed issues to be editable by whoever has the permission to do so.

How can I only allow project Administrators/leads to be able to edit closed issues in a bulk?

I want to use this property key, {{jira.permission.edit.projectrole}} but i do not know what is the right value for project lead role. Help. Thanks.

Reference:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Workflow+Properties

http://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/latest/com/atlassian/jira/security/WorkflowBasedPermissionManager.html

4 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2012

You can't. That "prevent edit on closed issues" flag is absolute, there's no way to bypass it or make it more clever.

I usually add a transition to the "closed" status - it should go back to closed, go through a screen which includes the fields you want to edit, and with a condition on it like "only project leads and system administrators"

Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2012

I totally like your idea. I'll try this out before using the workaround. ;) Thanks.

Like Chris Tetzlaff likes this
Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2012

Tried this. Liked it alot, the down side is it does not support bulk edit. Great tip btw. :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2012

You can make it support bulk-edit - you just have to remember to use bulk-edit-transition instead of bulk-edit-edit

Like # people like this
Kashyap Nagendra August 30, 2016

I tried to this by creating a transition as below 

From Status: Closed, To Status: Closed, Screen - <Custom Screen>

But I seem to be receiving an error 

You cannot perform this operation on a draft workflow. More Information

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

I would like to ensure that all the users should be able to update the comments and add attachments even after the issue is closed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 30, 2016

That's nothing to do with this question, but you'll need to work on a copy of the workflow and migrate to it.  I suspect your workflow doesn't currently have any outgoing transitions from closed and there's a bit of a bug in the editor which renders it unable to add them unless there is one already.

Kashyap Nagendra August 31, 2016

Hello Nic,

Yes, you are right. Closed is the final state and there are no further transitions.

So is there a way to ensure that the users will be able to update atleast the comments, attachments section on the issue while it is closed?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 31, 2016

That is a very old question and things have changed - have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/workflow-properties-802592825.html - that now lets you say "restrict edit to a group" when in a specific status etc.

4 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2012

Using the flag described at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Allow+editing+of+Closed+Issues one can allow editing in any state as you noticed

Now one might construct a permission scheme which includes Project administrators and leads plus a group custom field which is initialised with the users group that are allowed to edit. On the transition screen that leads into close status this custom field would have to be cleared. The solution only works of course if you can organize your users in groups. Nics approach is much more transparent and i use it as well.

Just wanted to point out another alternative ...

Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2012

Yeah, this is similar to what the support guys suggested. Thanks.

1 vote
Kyle
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 25, 2012

Thanks guys. Support has given me a workaround. Let's see how it goes.

Hi,

Thanks for contacting Atlassian Support, pleased to meet you again.

Reviewing the description of this case, we understand that you would like to restrict editing on closed issues specifically only to the project lead. Since this is the case, reviewing the list of available workflow properties, I believe that there may be no property that allows only the project team lead to edit an issue on a specific issue status. However, perhaps as a workaround, maybe we can group the project lead(s) into a group, and grant the<tt>jira.permission.edit.group.1</tt> workflow property to the project lead group. This at least may help us to allow only the user belonging to the group (which is the project lead) to edit issues in Closed status.

I hope that the info helps. Kindly let us know how it goes for you.

Best regards,
Atlassian Support

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 24, 2012

[deleted]

Suggest an answer