create task at a particular workflow transition

meena radhakrishnan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2012

Is it possible to have a task or subtask be created at a particular workflow transition step and monitor all from within the main task?

5 answers

5 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2012
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2014

If you need Cloud (OnDemand) support, watch and vote for CSOT-136.

Crystelle Spinnler July 14, 2014

Hi Bob, doesn't appear I'm allowed to vote for this - the "vote" link is greyed out and clicking on it does nothing.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 14, 2014

You need to be logged in to watch or vote on an item. If you don't have an id to my site, you need to create one - see Help.

0 votes

Looks like Bob's offering on the marketplace isn't available to On Demand users. Does anyone have additional advice? I am looking to add approval subtasks to a Change Request issue type once it transitions to Committee Review. I'm concerned with this as a manual process because it seems it would slow things down. In the case of emergency changes, the item goes from Open to Committee Review. I would much prefer to have JIRA do this to keep things moving. Thoughts?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2014

I'm afraid you don't have the options on Cloud/OnDemand. You can do a lot with the workflow, but there aren't any addons that enable "create on transition" for Cloud/OnDemand.

Best you can do here is build the approval into the workflow for the parent issue and forget the subtasks.

I suppose that can work if you attach approval to roles instead of people... Thanks!

0 votes
Matt Doar
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

Bob's answer is the way to go.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 1, 2012

Hi, the Script Runner plugin could be an excellent option too. With that plugin you can create Script Post-Functions or use predefined scripts.

Cheers!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2012

I'm not sure the question is clear. You could mean one of two things here:

1) You want to create subtasks as the main issue goes through a specific transition (you'll need to find/write a "create subtask" listener or workflow-post-function to do this). Subtasks appear summarised on their parent issue, so you get the monitoring automatically.

2) You want to create subtasks with a different starting status than the default for their workflow. That's not possible (the "create" process can only have one landing point in a workflow), but you can work around it with (again, found or written) listeners which will move a new issue through to the right status

We're all happy to expand on whichever of those you mean!

meena radhakrishnan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2012

Actually I meant the first one. What I am envisioning is ( not sure if this is possible) to find a way to incorporate test management at a sub task level (where the issue type will be a custom one something like 'Test Case') with its own workflow and custom screen fields.

This is how it will work... In the main workflow when the issue reaches the status of 'development completion' the main task's workflow will create a new sub task of type 'Test Case' which will have its own workflow and custom screens to input test case's expected and actual test results.

I am new to JIRa and currently evaluating the product to find all the ways JIRA could support a complete ALM solution. If there is a better way to accomplish the test management please point me in that direction.

Also another question, if we go with a third party test tools such as QTP, would it be possible to link the test results to a particular issue?

thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 15, 2012

Ok. Well, Bob's answer is exactly what you need (the "find a plugin" applies there), and you use that in the workflow of the "parent" issue.

Sub-tasks can have their own independent screens and workflows, so that's easy.

You can link test tools to Jira, there's quite a few discussions about some of the more popular packages. I suggest you get Jira working with your subtasks first though, as that's a good start, then decide on a shortlist of test software and do a quick search on their names here to look for integration advice.

Suggest an answer