How to remove/hide child pages

Dilpreet Sohanpal April 12, 2012

Confluence Version 4.1.9

Build 3148

License : Evaluation

Question: How can I disable the child page display which appears by default in the parent page when it has one or more child pages. I have checked in parent page no macro for Children display exists.

Any help, as I have not been able to find any solution online

regards

Dilpreet ()

7 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2012

Hi Dilpreet,

I wrote a blog post on how to do this recently - http://blog.networkedcollaboration.com/2012/03/12/hide-confluence-child-pages-with-jquery/

Hope it helps?

Andrew.

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2013

That was just great to read and use! :)

EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2013

Using a JS framework to alter the CSS of artfacts already generated by the server may be the least effective way to do this. Other suggestions that modify the space or global velocity templates, or themes are a more performant approach.

C November 20, 2014

You can also hide it, though it will still take up the space on the page. Stick the below in the CSS #children-section{visibility:hidden;}

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2016

Check comment of that post for html macro\jquery workaround if you don't have permission to edit header

9 votes
Laurent Corbière February 3, 2013

Hi,

Insert>Wiki Markup

Then, paste this code:

{style}
div#children-section.pageSection
{
display: none;
}
{style}

You can put it in your space stylesheet (without {style}) if you want to hide all your space children list.

Have a nice day,

Lauret

Sapphire Wang March 16, 2015

Thanks! It works perfectly.

Deleted user November 19, 2015

Thank you - this worked perfectly!

David Wong March 3, 2017

Thank you very much ! This works in a page level and that is what I needed !

2 votes
Dmitry Andrejev
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

With the help of following code I'm not showing child pages on space's home page. This is faster, then rendering all child pages and then hiding them via JavaScript:

## CUSTOM (don't show child pages of space homepage): begin
#if ($space.homePage != $page)
        #renderChildren()
#end
## CUSTOM (don't show child pages of space homepage): end

marciw February 12, 2013

Dmitry, how/where do you add this code to the page?

Dmitry Andrejev
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2013

I don't add it to a page, but rather to default page layout used in that page, which is a Velocity template (*.vm) file.

Michael Brinson July 9, 2014

I added some more details on how to get access to the correct velocity template over here: http://ffeathers.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/confluence-tip-how-to-hide-child-pages-in-the-documentation-theme/#comment-22286

(It's the blog of Sarah Maddox -> head documentation writer for confluence)

1 vote
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2012

Removing the answer becasue Ivar isn't happy with the answer and for some reason Answers will no longer allow me to remove it.

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 4, 2013

This isn't really correct is it? The query is about the "standard" Child pages information on every page, not if you have inserted it as a macro. I have to follow the instructions on this page in order to remove it.

0 votes
Scott Fredericksen April 26, 2015

I discovered that "Child Pages" don't show up if you create a "knowledge-base" Space (rather than a "documentation" space.  It also appears as if you can not change the Space type once it has been created, so choose carefully.  Moreover, a "documentation" space also prevents you from using the "Space Tools" which are located in the lower left hand corner of pages that are created with the "knowledge-base" Space type.

I agree that the lack of functionality with the Confluence Cloud is frustrating, but I also understand the need to balance security.  

Ben Vost October 11, 2015

The Space Tools menu at the bottom left is replaced with a Browse menu at the top.

Deleted user January 11, 2016

You can migrate all the pages from one space to another, just by moving the top level. I'd test it first and probably do it out-of-hours, though, it could take a long time with 700+ child pages.

0 votes
Toomas Romer July 3, 2013

I'm facing the same problem. I'm using the onDemand version and don't have the luxury to change any templates. Would be glad to see if anyone knows a solution to this.

0 votes
Dmitry Andrejev
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2013

Hiding using JavaScript/CSS is not good, because child list is generated too in that case and server resources are consumed.

I have a page with 792 child pages, which takes infininy to load and knowing that it's space's home page it's really important for it to load fast.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events