Why can't I assign an issue to a user who should have permission??

DarrinL April 10, 2012

Greetings Jira helpers,

I am the administrator for Jira at my company. I have global and project permissions set so I can assign users in a specific group to an issue. I can assign an issue to myself or the reporter and that is it. What do I need to do so I can assign an issue to anyone in the group?

Thanks!

Darrin

12 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2012

You can continue this question in the Jira Support Ticket:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-27396

Viktoria Varzinova January 22, 2020

This doesn't help, I still can't assign tasks to the user I have recently added. When I type in something into the user search box, nothing comes up.

Like # people like this
Viktoria Varzinova August 25, 2020

I had to create new tasks and copy over the content from the old tasks. It looks like you can't assign users to the tasks if the tasks were created earlier than the users.

Like Alper Burat likes this
3 votes
bill May 16, 2012

I have added a new user and set permissions so he is assignable.

His name does not show up in the suggest box. If I type the first letter of his name, it does show up.

He can assign issues, but his name is the only name in his suggest box. If he types the first letter of a name, he can assign an issue to that person.

So it looks like permissions are set up right, but the assign suggest boxes are not showing the names of the users. This makes it hard for the new kid. Nobody can assign him work. He can assign work to himself but to nobody else.

Is this by design or is there something we need to do when adding a new user to 1) have that user listed in our suggest boxes for assignment and 2) have our names in that user's suggest box for issue assignment?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2012

This is by design! Watch the issue mentioned in the above 'Accepted' answer from Ramiro.

The accepted answer doesn't solve the problem. I also can't assign any tasks to newly added user. When I type in something into the user search box nothing comes up. I think it's a bug in Jira Cloud.

Like # people like this
Stephanie Hogan January 26, 2021

What Viktoria said. This issue JUST started happening to me today. I created a new task today and the one other person in my jira project who has been in there for 2 years doesn't show up in the list of possible assignees.

Tara Searight February 3, 2021

I'm also having this issue! One of our developers randomly can't be assigned to any issue despite having worked with us for 5+ years and it never being an issue before. He has all of the same permissions as the other developers, he just randomly doesn't show up as an option to assign anything to (other than himself)

Yaniv Vararu February 4, 2021

The same issue Tara just mentioned here, happens to one of our employees out of nowhere. Started a few days ago, and this employee is with us for years....

Ishan Purohit June 3, 2021

This has started happening with me as well. I can only see one jira user everywhere for assignment and cannot assign it to anyone else in a specific project

Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2021

Happened to us as well today. However, we moved from Jira Standard plan to Premium so I thought that was the issue.

I've checked permission schemes and permission was granted to a specific group even though tasks weren't assignable to anyone except one user (mostly myself).

I just granted the same permission to a group that should have it (even though in the Edit permission page it stated that this specific group has permission) and everything works fine after this.

So I guess you can just 'override' the same permission to the specific role/group and it should be okay.

1 vote
DarrinL April 11, 2012

Thank you guys for helping out. Every person in the group is part of 1 or more groups where they have Assignable permissions and browse project permissions. I checked the permission scheme and it looks correct. the users can assign themself to the issue, I just can't see the full list of users to assign them.

Christoph Fischer October 22, 2020

Hey,

do you have the "browser users" permission?

1 vote
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2012

You have to go to the project administration, and in the tab 'people' you need to specify what users would be in what rol. Hope this helps!

DarrinL April 10, 2012

Actually, it does not help. I have added those permissions but I'm not getting a full like of the users from the group...

Like christina CAG likes this
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2012

If the user is already in the peolpe tab of the project then is like Jobin said.

Check if the other users or the group of the users have the permission called 'Assignable User' and check if you selected the correct permission scheme in the project administration.

Like BTS likes this
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2012

And just in case, check if the users have the 'Browse Project' permission.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 10, 2012

Mak sure the 'Assignable Users' permission is granted to the required users, either via project roles or groups.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

I use free Jira Cloud plan, all permissions are set to "any logged user", still I can't assign tasks to the recently added users. It's weird because I was able to do so several days ago before this update.

Like # people like this
Prashanth Akunuri August 25, 2020

@Viktoria Varzinova were you able to resolve this issue, if so how? Thanks.

0 votes
BGD VCS April 12, 2020

When I make automation rule for assigning the issue to user in the role, it appear erros as below. I already grant assignable / assign issue permision to user. pls help this case

Error

• Either you or the rule actor for this rule is missing some required permissions:
    • ASSIGN_ISSUES
0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2012

OK, you can select an answer to mark it and make this question 'finalized'

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2012

You could post a comment in the support asking the solution for the on-demand version because it seems to be a Jira bug.

0 votes
DarrinL April 11, 2012

OK. so, you can consider this question closed.

0 votes
DarrinL April 11, 2012

Yep! that is it. I can assign them (and only those in the group), but I can't see the list. I saw the hosted solution for this. Is there an ondemand work around for this?

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2012

Could be the same issue as this question

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2012

They can get inside the issue an assign to them? And someone how can assign himself you can't assign him? That's pretty odd. Does your user have permission to assign another user?

Suggest an answer