Is there any way to run a report of internal broken links in Confluence?

Kim Breas April 9, 2012

Finding broken internal links (such as redirects) seems to be a random event. is there a way to run a report of broken links or any other way to easily find them?

4 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2012

One of our tech writers wrote a Python script that you can use to check for content errors like broken links: http://blogs.atlassian.com/2011/12/scanning-confluence-for-content-errors/

Sagar Dubewar September 29, 2017

This solution seems to be for the server instance of the confluence. Anyone knows the solution for the cloud instance? 

Like Edwin van Wijk likes this
Efleda Brophy October 6, 2022

This would be a nice feature to add to Confluence, especially for those users who work with the Cloud version.

Like Kaden Edwards likes this
3 votes
Joerg Bencke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2012

You could check for "orphaned" pages and for "list undefined pages" search, assuming that any broken link means for confluence, the page "has to be created yet".

Deleted user May 14, 2013

Thanks for this. I thought I should know the answer, and this was it. To do this:

1. You have to be a space administrator and repeat space by space
  2. Select Browse > Space Admin > Advanced > Undefined pages

Works a treat.

Vikash Kumar February 23, 2015

The undefined pages search is not 100% accurate, as the algorithm used to track links doesn't account for all links. Hopefully this can be fixed with future versions of the wiki renderer that allow more accurate tracking of link destinations. https://docs.atlassian.com/confluence/latest/com/atlassian/confluence/pages/PageManager.html

Like Anna Gacek likes this
Ira Sentesy June 27, 2016

Despite the limitation mentioned, this is a good place to start fixing links if you're not using a script. For newer versions of Confluence, it can be found in Space Tools > Content Tools > Undefined pages.

2 votes
Kay Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 9, 2012

You can use the reporting plugin with this code:

section}

{report-info:global:current date|format=MMMMM-dd-yyyy}
{section}

{section}

{report-block}
{space-reporter}

{text-sort:space:name}

{space-reporter}

{report-body}

{report-info:space:name|link=true}

{report-list}

{local-reporter:space:orphaned pages}
{text-sort:content:title}

{local-reporter}

{report-body-1}{report-info:content:title|link=true} (Created by)

{report-info:content:creator|link=true} {report-body-1}

{report-empty}_No orphans in this space_{report-empty}

{report-list}

{report-body}

{report-block}
{section}

Regards,

Kay

Joerg Bencke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2012

That would be nice, if the reporting plugin was not a commercial solution not availbale to everybody.

Greg Kullberg May 13, 2013

Using the new 4.x editor, is it possible to copy/paste the above? It seems to want to paste the code as preformatted text instead of converting it to macros.

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2013

Greg, try using the "Insert Wiki Markup" dialog in the editor - it's in the Insert menu and will give you a plain-text window to type in wiki code.

Klaus March 9, 2017

Hi Kay,

I took the path of "Insert Wiki Markup" path and produced an output (still in edit mode), but when saving the page. It just clocks/spins with nothing happening. Is there any parameters that I need to narrow this down to a certain space and not all spaces. I tried to look through each reporting plugin features to see if I can isolate this to a space key or something. Can you help?

2017-03-09_1453.png

0 votes
Greg Kullberg May 16, 2013

Wow Joseph, my mind has just been blown! Didn't even realize that was possible in the 4.x editor. Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events