add reason for email to JIRA notification

Sam Hasler April 2, 2012

Is there a way to configure JIRA notifications to add an explanation of why you received them like the way bugzilla puts "You are receiving this mail because:" at the end of every mail?

With bugzilla I use this to prioritize email into different folders, based on whether I'm the assinee, reporter, or just cc'ed on bug and only get thunderbird to grab my attention when I'm the asignee. So far I've been unable to work out a way to filter JIRA emails.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
tier-0 grump
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 2, 2012

Yes, modify the email templates - see http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Customising+Email+Content for the steps you need to follow

Sam Hasler April 2, 2012

Ok, looks like that should be simple to do. I've filed an improvement to have the default email templates changed: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-27774

Jasen Sparacino June 30, 2014

I know that I will have to do it with code and velocity templates. I just need a little help getting started in making this happen. What would be the best way to accomplish this? I have a few ideas.

Richard Kiefer January 30, 2018

I know it has been centuries (in internet-time) since you added your solution, but could you please elaborate on this?

I check the documentation, and found eventTypeName as a template variable, but I found no variable describing why I received the mail (because I'm the assignee, reporter, watcher...). Regarding Jiras notification schemes, I think mails should include both information: which event was raised and in what "role" did I receive the mail.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2012

Won't you get a fairly good filtering by having a message filter in Thunderbird with 'body' containing 'Assignee = <<Your Name>>' (probably you can copy paste from one of the mails). It used to work pretty okay with Outlook.

Suggest an answer