Jira Error: The issue you are trying to view does not exist.

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2012

Some Jira users users are reporting the `Error The issue you are trying to view does not exist. `

This is happening only on few issues, not on all.

• The Administrator does not see the error, being able to access the issue
  • User's permissions are OK
  • Database integrity done
  • Reindexing done
  • Encountered on Jira versions 3.10.2 and 3.13.5
  • Log file does not show anything useful, even when set to DEBUG
  • Also tryied the jira.option.key.detection.backwards.compatible=true inside jira-application.properties without any success
  • Unrelated: few days ago I remember getting a simlar error, but I was able to find the cause, an Exception was present in the logs, complaining about a required field that was missing from the screen.
  • There is no Security Level assigned
  • Strange but this started to happen with all tickets that were created after a specific time in the past (abou two weeks ago). Any issue after this date will present this problem.
  • If the user creates a new issue, he will be able to access it, but not if were created by others.

How can I solve the issue?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2012

It may sounds silly, but all these people had custom HOSTS files and they were accesing the old version of Jira.

So, when you upgrade Jira, always keep the same IP address, especially because there is no way of making it read only.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2012

Glad to here that you found the answer! Could you please mark your answer as correct? it would help a lot the other users ;-)

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2012

I would verify that the user has 'Browse' permissions. When you say some issues, are they able to see issues in the same project? Does it have any issue security level applied?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2012

Yes, the user has Browse permission. Where should I look for "Security Level" stuff?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2012
Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2012

I updated the info, please see the two new bullets/

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2012

A few weeks ago I had the same problem. Basically the reason was that I had the 'Base URL' in the System/Configuration screen incorrectly. Can you verify if you have the right URL?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2012

Done, and is setup correctly.

0 votes
Stephen Hayden
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2012

Just to be thourough, I'd add Group (Anyone) to the browse permission temporarilly to test. It sounds like the reporter and some teams have browse permissions and others don't (we have a number of projects setup exactly like that). I know you said permissions aren't a problem, but wanted to throw that out there, sorry :)

If it's not that, and security = none on the project, I yeild to those smarter than I to figure out, good luck!

Suggest an answer