Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira fails to start

Raja Choudhary March 25, 2012

Hi, I am totally new to JIRA so please parden me for basic questions and add detailed answers if yu could. We have JIRA (v4.3.4#620-r152668) in production. I am tasked to build a custom plugin/module to make some changes. I wanted to setup my local JIRA instance with exact same version so that I can make changes locally first. I am struglling in setting up the same instance.

Steps I followed:

1) I downloaded & installed atlassian-plugin-sdk-3.8 in local box.
2) I have created Plugin skeleton for eclipse and my pom.xml has this entry.

<properties>
<jira.version>4.4.1</jira.version>
<jira.data.version>4.4</jira.data.version>
<amps.version>3.8</amps.version>
</properties>

JIRA starts with the above config successfully but our JIRA version in production is :(v4.3.4#620-r152668) so I went ahead and changed the pom.xml file as below.

<properties>
<jira.version>4.3.4</jira.version>
<jira.data.version>4.3.4</jira.data.version>
<amps.version>3.8</amps.version>
</properties>

When I execute (atlas-run) to start the local JIRA instance, it does not start due to mismatch in config ( I changed jira version from 4.4.1 to 4.3.4)

Questions:

1) Can I start module development using 4.4.1 jira version even though I have 4.3.4 in production? Will my plugin work in my production environment?
2) If answer to question number is NO then how should I go about having the right jira version locally?
3) The change I am tasked with is to add a new column (Due Date) while displaying the issue list. What type of module should I pick to develop? Any links to similar development questions/activities?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the error message when JIRA fails to start due to version mismatch:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The data present in your database is newer than the version of JIRA you are trying to startup.
Database version is: 646
JIRA app version is: 620
Please use the correct version of JIRA. You are running: 4.3.4#620-r152668

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2012

Can I start module development using 4.4.1 jira version even though I have 4.3.4 in production?

Better not to. Your plugin might work but it will not if the module you develop uses APIs that changed over the versions!

how should I go about having the right jira version locally?

Try

&lt;properties&gt;
        &lt;jira.version&gt;4.3.4&lt;/jira.version&gt;
        &lt;jira.data.version&gt;4.3&lt;/jira.data.version&gt;
        &lt;amps.version&gt;3.8&lt;/amps.version&gt;
&lt;/properties&gt;

The change I am tasked with is to add a new column (Due Date) while displaying the issue list

Adding columns to issue navigator is a standard JIRA functionality. Are you asking for that?

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+the+Default+Issue+Navigator#ConfiguringtheDefaultIssueNavigator-ConfiguringtheDefaultIssueNavigatorColumns

0 votes
Raja Choudhary March 25, 2012

Jobin & Jamie, thanks for the solution. I wasn't blowing the Target directory erlier and wasn't executing atlas-mvn eclipse:eclipse after making changes into pom file. These suggestions solved my issue.

Also, I couldn't draft my due date question properly earlier . I want to know how do I display DUE DATE, START DATE columns for the sub tasks list within a primary issue. (I know we have Due Date within main list of primary issues but I am looking to display list of sub tasks). Can admin do this? If yes, how. If not, what kind of module I am supposed to create? Please suggest.

Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2012

You can configure jira.table.cols.subtasks within Admin section (General Configuration|Advanced) in JIRA 4.4 or in jira-application.properties for JIRA versions before 4.4 (I think).

Raja Choudhary March 26, 2012

Thanks Henning. I got due date column appearing in the table.

Does anybody know how do I add column headers and make them sortable?

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2012

> The data present in your database is newer than the version of JIRA you are trying to startup

Also, blow away the target directory before running again.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events