JIRA - a way to creat 500 internal users?

wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2012

Hi,

Is there a way to create 500 internal JIRA users (bulk).

we don't have active directory, or other type of integration facility. Do we need to create them manually?

Thanks,

5 answers

1 vote
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2012

You can even use jelly scripts . here is an example . Documentation for enabling jelly and running jelly scripts is here .

This will work for 4.4

1 vote
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2012
You can add the users from a csv file using JCLI Please find more information at https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JCLI/JIRA+Command+Line+Interface
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2012
Here is an example how an input csv file for addUserWithFile might look: http://hg.crowsoftware.com/jira-cli/src/debb94f28ce8/src/main/resources/examples/addUserWithFile.csv
wajdhaikal
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 25, 2012

I have JIRA 4.4, Is it supported?!

0 votes
Guillaume SIRGUE September 27, 2016

Thank you, Mizan. It's perfect.

Guillaume.

0 votes
Patrick McMahon March 2, 2015
Srikanth Ganipisetty August 15, 2021

@Patrick McMahon Hey Patrick, I installed your Plugin but didn't find the step-1 to begin with, I don't see the features to upload my CSV. Could you please say how can I do it on Server/Datacenter JIRA versions? I installed the plugin and I can see it manage apps, but not the features either in components/Csv import. 

Like Jessy Li likes this
Patrick McMahon August 15, 2021

Your user must have the admin role and then the link will appear on the main menu bar. 

Like # people like this
Srikanth Ganipisetty August 15, 2021

I'm the admin of this instance as System/Jira admin, but unfortunately didn't find that option. Do you mine sharing the image of how it looks like? 

Patrick McMahon August 16, 2021

Check your user in the User Management:

admin group.png

for the jira-administrators group.

The link appears in the top menu bar:

bulk user link.png

Like Srikanth Ganipisetty likes this
Srikanth Ganipisetty August 16, 2021

Hi @Patrick McMahon Thanks for the response. I found it yesterday night after looking at everything for several hours. Sometimes, we don't focus on important locations and look elsewhere. Your app is really great, it did my job on Free trial. It has added users very quickly. It would be great if you could update the documentation on identifying this app location after we installed and the features we'll get once we purchase the app ( We're looking for this ). 

Adding these points for other Atlassian users

Limitations: 

1) Can add only 4 users only on limited trial, but can have more repetitions. 

2) Please keep your import CSV file as the format it shows on the app documentation. Currently, app do not have this functionality to identify the items as per the column headers in your CSV. 

Atlassian.PNG

3) If there are one user existed in the system already, the followed rows in your CSV list will get stopped and may not be imported. I'm not sure about the premium version though.  Try to get your sheet prepare - you can do a VLOOKUP by taking the export of users that you already have in Jira and then prepare your sheet to use this app. 

'Jira User Export app for Atlassian JIRA'

Adding the screenshots for those users having more options in the main top menu bar: 

Atlassian.PNG

Like Jessy Li likes this
0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2013

I'd like to see the Script Runner way of doing this

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 11, 2014

I wrote a small script which can create bulk users . This runs on the script console {code} import com.atlassian.jira.user.util.UserUtil import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor; def uu=ComponentAccessor.getUserUtil() uu.createUserNoNotification("testauto", "testauto", "testauto@test.com", "testauto") {code}

Like Srikanth Ganipisetty likes this
donsasikumar February 7, 2017

Hi Mizan could you share the complete code for this? Thanks!

Arun April 22, 2020

Hello Mizan, would you be able to share your code to add bulk users using spreadsheet?

Thanks in advance!

Suggest an answer