performance of ondemand installation

Florian_Ebner March 18, 2012

Hello,

the performance of the on demand installation is o.k. but not really fast (compared to a installation here on a german root server, which isn't really high fast).

(remark: we are still in the evaluation phase)

I assume the installation is in the U.S. and this is the reason. We are very interessted to use the "ondemand" solution, but a better performance would be great.

Do Atlassian have a datacenter in europe (perhaps germany) and it is possible to migrate the

Thank you very much

With best regards

Florian

14 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Bastiaan Jansen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2012

The servers are indeed hosted in the US causing you some delay. At the moment we do not have any data centers in Europe but we are looking into this. Unfortunately I do not have any further information at the moment regarding this.

John Alexander Bye December 30, 2012

Have you got an update on this?

Bastiaan Jansen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2013

Unfortunately there is no news on this subject yet.

Mike Hermansen March 5, 2015

Damn, 3 years almost and nothing has happened. I bet nothing will ever happen. As I find the delay quite unacceptable, I will be the first one jumping of the ship if I see a better service anywhere else.

Zizhou Liu March 9, 2015

How hard is it to start a new data centre in Europe?

0 votes
Patrick Dyckerhoff October 7, 2015
It would be really great if we could also select a European data center as an alternative Location...
For reasons of performance and data privacy...
0 votes
Dylan Schoenmakers February 1, 2015

When is there going to be Cloud option for hosting in Europe? JIRA is so slow because of this!

0 votes
Thomas VIAL October 15, 2014

Any update on that? Same problem here in France.

0 votes
Krzysztof Danilewicz May 12, 2014

I've already switched to standalone version due to lack of interst of anyone in atlassian about this topic. It's working much faster now.

0 votes
Oliver Studer May 12, 2014

Anything ever happen in terms of official european ondemand datacenters? The performance of OnDemand is still as bad as it was 2 years ago apparently. My interpretation from this whole thread (and others) is, that Atlassian simply doesn't really care about this or decided that for economical reasons, it's simply not worth it. But then, at least be clear about it so when can look for alternatives.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2013

Hi, not OnDemand but we @ Cloud Shards do have a European location if you need Atlassian hosting. We do have customers using it. Would be happy to discuss a custom solution at https://www.cloudshards.com/contact.php

This will be a hosted downloadable version with full admin permissions and features.

0 votes
Volker Zidek July 26, 2013

same for me!
i'm in stuttgart and i was really happy to use jira because I considered great pieces on the system.
Then, when I had 2-3 days tortured me through the import of my youtrackissues while i could not believe the poor quality of this importforms - at least i managed just about 10 percent of my youtrack-datas.
then when i enter my dashboard first time - i was again superdisapointed about this realy very slow workflow with average 5 seconds per request!!
for me, under this conditions there's absolutly no way to work with that!

here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIn1zxAbrv8 -> that is what i mean with good workflow! -> the request comming totaly quick.

what can i do to get a comparable performance in this video?

i read now since lot of day's lot of people say the same about the unbearable load times -> but no absolutly no solution till now.

I would be very happy to be able to use jira without to buy me a own webserver within study weeks to get ready for in administration my own jirainstance.

maybe someone has a good tip to get the system quickly enough
thx a lot!

0 votes
Krzysztof Danilewicz April 10, 2013

Any news on European location of the onDemand servers? It's running really slow in central/east europe. We often catch ourselves on using notepads instead of confluence because of too big delay after clicking anything.

0 votes
Florian_Ebner January 30, 2013

Hi,

i tried the indexing.

But this doen't solve the problem.

There should be a more "local" installation in Europ for the european customers.

We can work with Jira, but we had a local installation and it is a lot faster. But we want the "on demand" service ("silent upgrades etc.")

0 votes
Chris Phillips January 14, 2013

I just setup OnDemand last night. I didn't want to lose any data. So, I exported and imported from Jira (hosted on our servers) to OnDemand after all developers left for the night.

We were seeing absolutely terrible page load times. It took a minute for the agile tab to load, it took minutes for an issue to load. Subsequent loads were sometimes faster but, significantly slower than the install of Jira on our servers.

On a hunch, I re-indexed both instances of Jira. Now, I am seeing OnDemand is only half as fast as our install. So, definitely try a re-index if it's really slow.

Here are times I'm seeing.

Page Old New (OnDemand)

Dashboard 3.58s 7.07s

Agile 993ms 1.51s

Issue 734ms 1.74s

0 votes
Malte Hübner September 25, 2012

I am also interested in OnDemand Services hosted in Europe. The delay slowes down productivity. So we currently don't use our instances for "real" projects just for evaluation. If you would have some servers in Europe I could imagine to migrate all our projects to the OnDemand instance.

0 votes
Tor Flatebo April 30, 2012

While we are in the US, the performance of the onDemand service is a decent bit better than our on-site hosted instance of JIRA. We find it to be pretty snappy 95% of the time, and have been very happy with the performance.

0 votes
Daniel Glenn April 23, 2012

+1 to this.

I am trialling OnDemand from central London on a good connection, and am migrating from an entry-level spec machine hosted in a UK hosting provider.

Like Florian said: the performance of OnDemand is acceptable, but not as good as it should be. The extra 100ms latency over to the US does not account for the difference I think.
Presumably this is running in some virtualized environment at Contegix? Can you tell us the specs of the VM? Is the evaluation version throttled in any way compared to fully paid for accounts?

Can you US-based folks comment on the performance of OnDemand compared to instances hosted elsewhere in the US?

Thanks,

Dan

Suggest an answer