Which is the best way to migrate from a Jira 4.4 instance to another jira5 instance?

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2012

Right now I have two Jira Instances, a Jira 4.4 and a Jira 5 (I didn't update directly because I installed Jira5 in a brand new server), in this moment people are using the jira 4.4 instance. Now I need to migrate everything to the Jira 5 instance so the people can continue the bug tracking in the Jira 5.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Amrut B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2012

Hello Ramrio,

Its relatively simple or complex depending on the Production instance JIRA 4,4 you have.

The standard instructions are given on here

To put it simply,

Back up JIRA xml + attachments

Setup new JIRA 5.0 + plugins if any

Import JIRA xml and attachement.

Test and go LIVE.

Do let me know if any thing specfic you are stuck at.

Amrut.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2012

Excellent, I'll give it a try. But first, how can I backup the attachments? Can I copy paste in the same directory?Will the xml automatically add them?

Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2012

Yep just make sure the attachments directory is in the same relative place on the new server and you're golden.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2012

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the response.

Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2012

Are you using the built in HSQL database or do you have your own external database?

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2012

I have my own external database.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2012

It worked more than great! Thanks!

Suggest an answer