Auto assign user in workflow post-function?

Sarah Elmer July 22, 2011

In workflow post-function for Reopening a Closed issue, can you make it to automatically assign the issue to a particular user? I see where it can be sent according to "Role", but this is too expansive. I need to designate 1 user.

3 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Edwin Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2011

Use the 'Update Issue Field' post-function to change the assignee to a specific user.

Sarah Elmer July 25, 2011

It worked. Thanks:) Tried to "vote" but it keeps telling me that "anonymous users can't vote" when I'm logged into the site...

Stefan Niedermann June 19, 2013
seems not to work as a post function of "create" (default transition to "new") - any idea?
Like Joey Klein likes this
Oupa Monareng February 16, 2018

This is so much easier than using a script, thanks Edwin

Mahesh Pawar March 28, 2019

Hi,

i need some help on the same,

at the start of the jira i have a field [QA Member(single user field)]. & in one part of workflow i want to assign the jira to anyone who was selected at the start of the creation of jira inside field [QA member].

can i do that??

1 vote
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2011

It depends on where you are getting this user from. For our software development projects, we have several User Picker custom fields (Analyst, Developer, Test Analysts, UAT Sign-off). There are populated on a per issue basis using the workflow. e.g.

• When you transition from open -> analysis you get a screen which asks for an analyst and won't let you progress until one is given.
  • This value is then copied (using a post function copy field to another field from the Jira Misc Workflow Extenstions) from the Analyst field to the Assignee field
  • Workflow finally fires an Issue Assigned event.

Same happens for for Analysis -> Development (developer) and Development -> Testing (Test Analyst). if an issue fails testing, it's automatically re-assigned to the analyst as part of the failing.

You could do the same for the re-open transition and copy a value from a User Picker custiom field. If you don't want to specify the value for every issue you could set up a Per-project custom field context with different default values. This way, there could be a custom field in the background which had a different value for every project which the workflow used.

This way you could use the same workflow for different projects without having to hardcode a user in (which is always a pain to change when a user leaves or changes role)

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2011

p.s. Remember to purge your resolution field when you re-open an issue

1 vote
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2011

The 'Assign to role' functionality you're noticing on JIRA Studio is actually from the JIRA Miscellaneous Workflow Extensions plugin. That plugin is included in JIRA Studio (see the included plugins policy).

It's unlikely that we'll be adding this in the near future. Check the comment from Roy from our product management team on a similar feature request.

Your best workaround will be to specify a role, project lead or component lead (notice that you can specify a component lead, and assign to that specific user).

Paul Swann-Clark August 19, 2014

I just moved to another company and recommended implementing JIRA, but in a workflow I am creating I find it no longer is possible to assign to a project role on a post function without buying the misc workflow plug-in. Before this was possible and I am sure JIRA allowed me to pick from a list of the project roles created (eg PA Function). Now it seems we are limited to project lead or component lead...which is no use whatsoever...could you please explain if I have this wrong. I cannot recommend implimenting a system that required constant additional add-ons to be procured on an annual basis to support functionality that previously existed :(

William Crighton _CCC_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2014

Well - remember that the same resources are available to _you_ and your new company as are available to the developers of the misc workflow plugin. So if you don't want to pay for the plugin you can always just go and write it yourself!

Of course, then you'll have to support it across all of the version changes that JIRA makes AND your company wants to upgrade to - which might be time prohibitive WRT overall cost.

Suggest an answer