How to stage multiple files in SourceTree?

stolksdorf March 2, 2012

When I select multiple files of my GIT repository in the working tree window I can't find a way to stage all changes at once. Is there really no GUI support for staging multiple files at the same time, or am I just missing something?

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2012

You can multi-select files (Cmd-Click, Shift-Click or Cmd-A to select all) in the File Status View and drag/drop them into the upper pane to stage them all at once. Or, once you've selected them, click 'Add' or press Cmd-+ (Shift-Cmd-=).

stolksdorf March 3, 2012

Thanks a lot, that works great! I should have found that myself, but I was always looking for a "stage" button or context menu option, since the buttons on the right pane for the individual files are labeled "Stage File". (I do find "stage" more descriptive than "add".)

Deleted user March 4, 2012

I would second the comment that Stage is more descriptive for the button than Add. When you choose to stage a file from the "Hunk Browser" the button says Stage File. So it would make sense for it to be consistent in the button bar too.

stevestreeting
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2012

I may add another menu item called 'Stage' which actually performs the same action. The trouble is that just as many people would be confused by a lack of an 'Add' menu option if there was only 'Stage' - the concepts are synonymous and typically used in different contexts in Git tutorials / docs, often 'Add' for new files and 'Stage' for modifications. The command line of course uses 'Add' all the time but that's unintuitive when dealing with modifications, hence why I used stage/unstage in the hunk/file modification operations.

Adrian von Gegerfelt May 5, 2014

Selecting multiple files is useless now - you can't right-click and select "stage" or "discard", and you can't click those three dots and do either.

Version 1.9 is horrible!

Greg May 6, 2014

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying it's horrible, but I definitely miss this feature. Is there an alternative way to stage multiple files (aside from checking them all), or do I need to jump to the command line?

Adrian von Gegerfelt May 6, 2014

Unless you want to stage ALL files at once, there is no way.

Armin Odenkirchen May 7, 2014

I'm missing the old two boxes "unstaged files" and "staged filed", too. Couldn't you bring them back and combine this with the new checkboxes to stage in one click?

It's a really important feature to stage more files at once, but not all unstaged files.

Adrian von Gegerfelt May 7, 2014

See my link before - it's all related to the split Staging Area view regression. You can vote on the support ticket here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/SRCTREE-2267

1 vote
Deleted user October 17, 2013

Hi. Maybe I don't see this, but there is a keyboard shortcut to stage all files on Windows? Thanks!

0 votes
Adrian von Gegerfelt May 7, 2014
0 votes
Pascal Scheffers September 15, 2013

I found it unclear as well. I had to google this answer (first hit, but still) to learn how to this very basic task.

Adrian von Gegerfelt May 6, 2014

Please provide the solution you have discovered.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events