Linking to files on our network

Mark Austin February 21, 2012

Is it possible to create a link on a page to allow us to open a document from a location on our network?

I don't want to attach the document to the page because the document is updated by various people on a daily basis but want to give a quick link in our wiki to open the document.

4 answers

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2012

Hi Mark,

you can create a link like this:

[document.abc|file:///X:/path/to/document/document.abc]

But this only works in Internet Explorer, not with Firefox.

Best regards

Thomas

That's great, thanks.

I have also now found out that it can be used in Firefox but you have to install a plugin in Firefox.

Radek Kantor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2012

Hi, can you post FF plugin link? According me, this is a security question and access is driven by web browsers, most of them not allowed this. Simply you can not link to some local file from link provided by web application like Confluence or JIRA, eg. file:///C:/path/to/document/document.txt

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2012

you're welcome :-)

If your question is answered, please mark it as answered.

Thank you and best regards

Thomas

The firefox add-on we use here is called locallink and can be found at http://locallink.mozdev.org/. We use this already for JIRA.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2012

Of course this is a security decision. We only use it in our internal wiki. The fileserver has its own security settings, so if the user is not allowed to see a document on our servers, he cannot open it through the wiki-link.

And of course, do not use this in an public environment !

Radek Kantor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 21, 2012

locallink-0.5 not work for mee with FF 10.0.2 :(

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2012

"IE Tab" plugin should also do it. With this, you open an Internet Explorer within Firefox.

I'm running FF 10.0.2 and it works for me but it was installed on a previous version of FF and has been updated to 10.0.2

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2017
0 votes
Vishali
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2013

Mark Austin,

I am using FF 18.0.1 and have add-on Locallink 0.5. I am using this link 'file:///C:/path/to/document/document.txt'.

When I use 'Open link in local context', I see a blank page, although I have access to that file. Could you please help me in fixing this?

Thanks,

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2012

you're welcome :-)

If your question is answered, please mark it as answered.

Thank you and best regards

Thomas

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events