Tracking Vacations, Sick Leaves, Training and etc.

GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2012

Hi,

Using JIRA only I'd like to be able to track the users' non-development time, such as: planned vacations, sick leaves, training, etc.

What would be the best way to achieve that?

Thanks,

Janiv.

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2012

How about using Confluence using Team Calendars?

GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2012

Currently, we don't use Confluence

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2012

I can think about a way by having an issue type called 'Leave' with a custom field which further categorizes the leave as Sick Leave, Vacation etc.

And each with a Due date can denote when the leaves start. And the Calendar gadget with a filter for all the 'Leave' issuetypes with a shared dashboard can serve as a reference page for all employees to know who is on leave.

An additional custom field with an end-date could avoid creating one issue per day.

And each employee who take a leave can log the work under this issue if you need worklog charts also to reflect the hours not available due to leaves. So all work logged under this gets accounted under hours for which the employee was on leave.

It can also have a workflow which requires a manager approval for leaves.

Just some ideas.

Like # people like this
GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2012

Thanks,

Sounds good!

Paul Alexander
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2013

Hello Renjith...can you expand briefly about how on these two paragraphs you wrote above? I'd like to get some more details about using JIRA (solely) for non-working time tracking in my Atlassian On-Demand product...yes, Tempo may be an option in the future, but not right now.

An additional custom field with an end-date could avoid creating one issue per day.

And each employee who take a leave can log the work under this issue if you need worklog charts also to reflect the hours not available due to leaves. So all work logged under this gets accounted under hours for which the employee was on leave.

It can also have a workflow which requires a manager approval for leaves.

1 vote
Viðar Svansson
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2012

Hi,

We have built in features for vacations and other non-working activities in Tempo for JIRA. See the docs: http://wiki.tempoplugin.com/display/TEMPO/Internal+Issues+and+Activities

Best,

Viðar,
Tempo

GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2012

Thanks,

We are 105 users, how much will Tempo cost?

Viðar Svansson
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2012

You will need 100+ (unlimited) license. See pricing for details: http://www.tempoplugin.com/buy

Alexandre Domingues February 21, 2017

I'm trying Tempo Planner and Tempo Timesheets in JIRA Cloud and I'm not being able to configure vacations for my team. Also the how-to manage vacations on Tempo Help it's different of what I have currently installed and doesn't allow to perform all the stpes Tempo Team mention

1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2012

We categorize logged time by worklog type (requires Minyaa Time plugin since JIRA doesn't have concept of work log type). This only helps for reporting and analysis after the time is logged. Here is an example of a (Confluence) report that totals across all jira issues associated with a user for a period of time.

<th title="Click to sort ">Worklog Type</th><th>Hours</th><th title="null">% of
Coding & Unit Testing 851.00 36.50
Administration 700.25 30.03
PTO 408.00 17.50
Miscellaneous 219.25 9.40
Planning 105.75 4.54
Education 15.50 0.66
Design 11.00 0.47
Research 9.50 0.41
Customer Care assistance - req 8.00 0.34
NA - Select a type 2.00 0.09
Dev: Review 1.25 0.05
Totals 2331.50 0

GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2012

Thanks,

It costs lestt than Tempo.

do you have any sample reports you use to show?

What is the way you work with it?

Thanks again,

Janiv.

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2012

We have a large number (50+) of work log types to categorize work including code, design, planning, personnel, research, reviews, various QA and documentation values, etc... All time must be accounted for and this is verified by managers. Users enter the data on individual jira items or more commonly, using the Fast Worklog Gadget that Minyaa provides. There is a time sheet portlet available as well which gives a easy single user report. Minyaa does have general reporting capabilities, but, instead, we have customized reports using Confluence and the sql macro, so that will not help you.

GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 20, 2012

Thanks,

each of the 50+ work log types is actually a different issue type, or what?

Can I see a sample report (bith Confluence and Minaya)?

Thanks again,

Janiv.

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2012

Work log types are associated with each work log entry added to any jira issue. The jira issue track all work associated with the issue. For instance, a developer logs 4 hours as design or code type and a reviewer logs 1 hour review time. The type enables rollups by effort type in other reports. I can't seem to attach an image here. Let me see if I can do that in the answer.

GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2012

Thanks,

Have you ever considered Tempo?

Do you know the cons and pros for tempo vs. minyaa?

Thanks again,

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 21, 2012

No, we have never evaluated Tempo. It looks like a nice product. Since we use Confluence for our reporting and do not need billing support, we don't really don't have a need for that type of product. In fact, our use of Minyaa is very limited to fill the hole in JIRA regarding work log categorization and the nice gadgets for adding and updating work log entries against issues. The con for Minyaa is complexity it adds to JIRA installation/upgrade. Perhaps I missed something, but Tempo doesn't seem to allow for the same work categorization on an individual work log entry as we require.

Viðar Svansson
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2012

Tempo does have worklog categorization through Worklog Attributes, which are like custom field for worklogs. So you can actually have multiple category dimensions (type of work, account, rates, etc).

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2012

Nice! I didn't see that on the worklog screen examples I saw. This is where we usually enter that or on the Minyaa fast worklog gadget.

Viðar Svansson
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2012

Looks like it is not clear in the examples. Here are the admin docs: http://wiki.tempoplugin.com/display/TEMPO064/Worklog+Attributes+Types

0 votes
Sindhu Bardipur June 11, 2019

Hello Gil,

There is an application in Atlassian Marketplace User-availability-Tracker-for-JIRA

Hope it would be helpful in your Scenario. Although this is an old thread, i thought it might help if someone is still looking for an answer.

Note: This app was developed by the firm i am working for called Actonic.

Sindhu

Suggest an answer