Show more workflow buttons

Erwin Manuel February 7, 2012

Hi,

We were able to show more that 2 workflow buttons in Jira 4.2.3

http://forums.atlassian.com/thread.jspa?threadID=50763

However, this patch dont seem to work in Jira 4.4.4, any tips? Thanks in advance

4 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2012

It must still be possible. Put it in jira-config.properties under JIRA Home and see if it works. See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA044/Advanced+JIRA+Configuration for details.

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2012

Thanks for the tip Erwin and Jobin, I tried this out on JIRA 4.4.4 and it work well. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/34251/show-more-workflow-buttons is the best reference. And just following that is info on how to change the order of what shows - this was something we have wanted for some time.

1 vote
Tuan Vo July 17, 2012

Hi,

I got the same situation.

I would like all the buttons grouped into the dropdown.

So I make the parameter ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-transitions=0

(Tried both with and without space before and after '=' character)

Then I restart the Jira service.

But there's still 2 buttons on the transition bar

Did I miss something?

My Jira is 4.4.3

Thanks,

TuanVo

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2012

I don't think it supports 0, it's assuming you mean "default"

You have the format correct although I stick with the slightly more readable choice, with spaces ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-transitions = 0

Tuan Vo July 17, 2012

Thanks Nic for the quick response.

I can see positive numbers work.

Just because I would like the transitions to be in 1 kind: all in buttons or all in the dropdown list.

As your statement, it would not be "all in the dropdown list".

Then I put number of 20 to make sure all in buttons.

Now the other need happens: hide the unused "workflows" dropdown. --> Could you know how to do that please?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 17, 2012

Changing the workflow number is the same principle and covered in the forum post above (although I don't think you really want to "hide the unused workflows" stuff - you do actually need that to progress things through the workflow...)

Tuan Vo July 17, 2012

I didn't mean the unused workflows.

Actually it's the dropdown control which never contain any transition inside and is disable. (Because I make the number to 20 and ensure that there's no more than 20 transitions from 1 status.)

The dropdown is always disable and I would like to hide it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2012

I'm sorry, you've lost me, I don't understand what you're talking about now. What dropdown control are you talking about?

Tuan Vo July 17, 2012

In the attached screen shot, Nic.

I make a pink rectangle around it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2012

Ah, I see you want to hide this when there are no options.

I'd actually say that's not a helpful thing to do. Think of the three types of users you have and what they will do when they look at an issue:

1. If there is a greyed-out workflow button

Expert Jira users will think "I have no rights to do stuff"

Regular Jira users will think "Workflow is there, but not available for some reason, I should ask my admins"

Novices will think "there's something I might do there, but I can't, let's ask why"

2. If there is no button at all

Expert Jira users will think "Where's the workflow? Why is there nothing to tell me I can't do anything?"

Regular Jira users will spend ages looking around, trying to find something that allows them to do stuff, get aggravated and then shout at the admins

Novices will think "WTF, why, how do I do stuff, I'm confused, I give up"

The grayed out button gives users a LOT of information. Remove it and you'll cause a lot more confusion.

Jason Hensler
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2012

We are cheating by hiding it. In the announcement banner I added this code:

<style>#opsbar-transitions_more{visibility:hidden;}</style>

We had to set ops.bar.group.size.opsbar-transitions= to be higher then the number of transitions we have. It's a patch but not a fix.

Benjamin Horst
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013

@Nic: Shouldn't we show all possible options in the bar then? So the users knows exactly what he could chose if he has the rights?

Judging by my experience, our users use what they have. A greyed out button suggests that there could be more and they start thinking about bugs. If they don't see that greyed out button, they will use what they have (unless there really is something hidden they saw before).

So why not allow us to chose if the button will be hidden when no options are available which could be displayed there? I'd just want a parameter to switch it off. It would be great if Atlassian let me decide what I can expect of my users. Hiding a that thing is just a technical feature.

0 votes
Ron Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2012

I have the same issue, is there a resolution to this?

Screen space would be cleaner if "Workflow" only if appears if there were workflows within it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2012

No "resolution" without coding.

It's not really a good idea to reduce useful information for users (even telling them "there's stuff you could do, but can't for some reason" is better than making them spend ages looking for options)

0 votes
Tuan Vo July 17, 2012

Thanks Nic for the quick response.

I can see positive numbers work.

Just because I would like the transitions to be in 1 kind: all in buttons or all in the dropdown list.

As your statement, it would not be "all in the dropdown list".

Then I put number of 20 to make sure all in buttons.

Now the other need happens: hide the unused "workflows" dropdown. --> Could you know how to do that please?

Suggest an answer