outgoing smtp server

Mandy January 26, 2012

I have installed jira on my server, have my project set up, but can't find where to configure outgoing emails - I need people to get notifications about their issues. The documentation tells me to:

1. Log in as a user with the 'JIRA System Administrators' global permission.
  2. Select 'Administration' > 'System' > 'Mail' > 'Mail Servers'.
    (tick) Keyboard shortcut: 'g' + 'g' + type 'ma'
  3. Click "Configure new SMTP mail server".
  4. This will display the "Add SMTP Mail Server" screen.

but all I can see under the administration functions are below - no option for an outgoing/SMTP server :

Mail

POP / IMAP Mail Servers

The table below shows the POP / IMAP mail servers currently configured for JIRA.

<th width="30%">Name</th><th>Details</th><th width="10%">Operations</th>
POP Mail Server
  • <dl><dt>Host:</dt><dd>localhost</dd></dl><dl><dt>Username:</dt><dd></dd></dl>
POP Mail Server
  • <dl><dt>Host:</dt><dd>localhost</dd></dl><dl><dt>Username:</dt><dd></dd></dl>

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2012

Could be a permission issue. Are you a a JIRA administrator or a JIRA System Administrator? Only System Admins can change SMTP settings!

Cheers

JIRA System Administrators
Ability to perform all administration functions. There must be at least one group with this permission.
Note: People with this permission can always log in to JIRA.
JIRA Administrators
Ability to perform most administration functions (excluding Import & Export, SMTP Configuration, etc.).
Note: People with this permission can always log in to JIRA.
Mandy January 26, 2012

thanks. because I imported my jira instance from Jira on demand, the sysadmin is set by atlassian, and I can't seem to set up another sysdmin. any ideas on how I do that?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 26, 2012

Generally you would grant the permission to a group (which by default is the jira-administrators group)in the global permissions menu. I'm not sure though if you can grant this permission if you are not a sysadmin yourself. Can you add yourfelf to the group which is associated with the sysadmin permision? Any than that, I'm afraid I can't help you:-)

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2012
Mandy January 27, 2012

thanks very much for your help, have found the sysadmin password and fixed the smtp server

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2012

Could you post a screenshot? Normally you would find the option under the "Mail Server" tab ABOVE the POP/IMAP Mail Servers options.

Cheers Christian

Mandy January 26, 2012

on the screen I see, there is only the option for pop servr, not smtp. having trouble posting a screenshot.

copy& paste gives what I put in the previous post. I took a "prt screen" & paste, but doesnt seem to show in this comment

Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2012

Strange. Have you configured those two POP servers? By the way, I was using a screenshot tool like "Snipping Tool"

Mandy January 26, 2012

tried again, but every time i try and post a comment it gives me an unknown error.

anyway, I don't see an option for smtp server above pop/imap servers. is there something else I have to do in the configuration?

Suggest an answer