Migration of data from Jira 3.x.x to Jira OnDemand

Gururaj January 12, 2012

We have projects those needs to be migrated from old version of Jira to Jira OnDemand. We need to migrate a few projects and also we have some projects in Jira OnDemand. My questions are:

1. Can we migrate project by project to Jira OnDemand?

2. Using Jira Import will it overwrite existing data on Jira OnDemand?

3. Is there any other way of migrating data, like using API or some kind of third party tool?

Please help me in giving more information on this. Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Patrick Li
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 13, 2012

Hi Guru,

1. Yes, you can do it project by project, check out the page here http://confluence.atlassian.com/x/oQIYDw., but be aware of configuration differences between the two instances.

2. If you use the import wizard from the page linked above, it should not clear out your existing data.

3. I don't think you can do it with a 3rd party tool directly with OnDemand.

If you want to be thorough and have everything covered, you should consider

* upgrade your local JIRA 3.x instance first

* work with Atlassian's OnDemand team and get an export so you can re-create an instance locally

* make the necessary configuration changes/updates on your local OnDemand replica

* do a test import

This way, you will have a good feel of the import process before making any changes to your production OnDemand.

Gururaj January 15, 2012

Thanks Jobin and Patrick for the answers.

Is it not possible to import while having different versions?

I am not sure whether it reads it is possible by below method. I will try and let you know.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA000/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

JIRA versions do not match

• If your backup file was created in an earlier version of JIRA than your target instance of JIRA:
    1. Set up a test JIRA instance, which is the same version as your target instance of JIRA. Make sure that the test JIRA instance uses a separate database and index from your target JIRA instance.
    2. Import the backup file into a test JIRA instance. (This will completely overwrite the test instance.)
    3. Create a new backup file from your test JIRA instance. You can now use this backup to import a specific project into your target production instance."
0 votes
NikE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2012

There are issues that normally prevent the importing of projects from different versions of JIRA. While the above process is going to be a bit time consuming, it should work just fine. With OnDemand you can only do a full import that will wipe out all other data on your OnDemand instance. The core idea is that you are going to consolidate all of your exports/projects/etc. into one full local instance that you will take a backup of and then import that into your OnDemand instance.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 12, 2012

Chekc out http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA000/Restoring+a+Project+from+Backup

In short, you will have to upgrade your local instance to the version of onDemand, take an XML backup, apply the config needed for those project manually on onDemand and then do the project import!

Suggest an answer