story points not visible in create/edit issue after following GreenHopper 101 instructions

David Rees January 9, 2012

I still don't see the Story Points field when creating/editing stories.

I followed the GreenHopper 101 instructions and set it to use the scrum template. According to GreenHopper 101 this shoulld cause the project to be "automatically configured to use Stories, Epics, Story Points, Ranking and Flagging."

I do see Story Points in the field configuration list under Administration. I guess I could play around there to add the field to the screens, but want to make sure I didn't somehow miss a step in setup.

4 answers

2 votes
nletendre October 8, 2019

Your product is ridiculously hard to use.

Félix Réginent October 16, 2019

I couldn't more agree... 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Arbi Baghoomian March 14, 2018

Go to:

project settings > select Screen> on your screen, select configure link> Add new field as story point or what ever you want.

After that story point will be appear in story detail page.

Alex Rosenthal April 5, 2019

but that's not the "right" story point field that would show up in backlog view, or in reporting etc. Also, this can cause a lot of confusion, because there will be 2 fields with the same name. Don't think there is a real solution to this.

Like # people like this
Shanton Anderson May 21, 2019

I fought through this for a couple of hours, but finally found it here.Adding_Story_Points_to_Project.png

Like # people like this
Kiril Nikolaev September 21, 2020

I've done this, but I am still not seeing Story Points in my stories. Been looking at all setting, configurations, etc. What needs to be turned on for this to work? All other fields show up when I add them in issue screen, except for Story Points. Any idea why?

Deleted user September 22, 2020

Kiril, I have the same issue at the moment. It seems like there is a bug, all the other fields display for me except Story Points

Kiril Nikolaev September 22, 2020

I figured it out yesterday here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Why-is-there-no-story-points-field-option-during-issue-creation/qaq-p/313094#U1487204. Took a while to dig up, but this helped and I see Story Points now: 

Custom fields in JIRA (story points is a custom field) can be configured with a context that restricts it's usage to certain projects and/or issue types. To check this, please go to Administration >> Custom Fields. Look out for the Available Context(s) column.

Like # people like this
Deleted user September 23, 2020

What a guy, thanks Kiril!

Daniel September 23, 2020

Kiril, THANK YOU.

Jeffrey Bismayer September 23, 2020

Why is this like this? Why is every other essential field global and not this? Thank you for the solution, but this was ridiculous-- spent almost the entire work day trying to figure this out. 

Like Victoria Land likes this
Jem April 9, 2021

thanks @Kiril Nikolaev , saved me the trouble there

It's like layer after layer of setting up

0 votes

I think maybe this is answered here - https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/8094/where-do-we-enter-story-points, but I am not 100% sure since that question doesn't talk about the GreenHopper 101 doc.

0 votes

As follow up, Story Points are visible in the Planning Board. Maybe that is all that is supposed to happen when I choose a Scrum config?

Adway Lele February 2, 2019

Same experience with me too.

Suggest an answer