How to synchronize two jira instances ?

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2011

I have two jira instances , consider jira 1 ad jira 2. If user of jira1 creates an issue users of both jira1&2 should be able to view and perform operations on the issue similarly vice-versa.

Is this type of synchronisation possible ?

if yes , how ?

thanx :)

5 answers

6 votes
Stefaan Quackels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2019

Hello,

Yes, this is definitely possible. You can use a synchronization tool for that.

We are the developers of Exalate, a synchronization tool for Jira to Jira integrations.

You can customize the synchronization however you want. The use case you described is perfectly possible.

This is an example of what it could look like:

Exalate sync.png

If you want, I can show you how it would work for your use case through a one-on-one demo. You can book one here: Book A Demo.

Let me know.

Cheers,
Stefaan

5 votes
Nils Bier _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 22, 2017

That sounds like a great use case for our synchronization add-on Backbone Issue Sync for JIRA.

After Backbone is installed on both your JIRA instances, you can set up an integration between specific projects in those instances. You have full control on the scope of the synchronization, as Backbone allows you to define which issue types and which fields should be kept in synced and how they should be synchronized.

Via the Atlassian Marketplace you can generate a free 30-day trial license which should give you enough time to check if Backbone might be a good fit here.

Feel free to reach out to us if you have any further questions or want to discuss your use case more in detail. We're here to help smile

Cheers,
Nils

Colleen_Bradley September 10, 2018

Hi Nils, 

Can I use backbone to Sync on prem with cloud instances ?

thanks,

coll...

Deleted user March 8, 2019

Hi @Colleen_Bradley ,

although this answer might be a bit too late for you, but yes, it's possible to sync on-prem with cloud instances using Backbone Issue Sync. We have an example use case + some setup tips described in this article: https://help.k15t.com/backbone-issue-sync/latest/server/synchronize-jira-server-with-jira-cloud-160662134.html I hope this still helps you or other people who are reading this thread here.

Cheers,

Sebastian

1 vote
Bogusław Osuch July 13, 2015

Month ago we have just released advanced JIRA Synchronizer at

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.intenso.jira.plugins.synchronizer

It allows to synchronize particular Project/Issue Types with fields/comments/attachments.workflows between two (or more) JIRA instances.

0 votes
nick.milne-brown January 22, 2015

the link shown above.....

See https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/x/9QD_Aw for change query examples.

displays a 404 page

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2011
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2012

Hi Bob ,

Thank you , I still did not get how to script a syncing process between the two jira instances using the Jira Command Line Interface plugin , Can you please guide me how can this be achieved ?

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2012

The CLI is an enabler for the script. You still need to do the programming for the script based on your specific needs. I recommend groovy for scripting, but any scripting language that has good JDBC support should work. The script needs to run continuously (we use Bamboo), have restart capability, and handle error conditions carefully. In a dual JIRA situation, changes made by the automation need to be filtered out to prevent recursion. For instance, by using specific automation user ids.

See https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/x/9QD_Aw for change query examples.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2012

Suggest an answer