How do I enable e-mail notification with JIRA OnDemand?

Don Nguyen December 18, 2011

I am migrating across to hosted and the procedure seems different

2 answers

8 votes
JohnA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2011

Hi Don,

To enable email notifications in OnDemand is a bit different to setting them up in a downloaded version, however hopefully I will be able to explain it clearly enough that you will be able to follow along. You need to associate each project with a notification scheme, and the default is that they are created with no notifications so you will need to configure one for each project that you wish to have notifications sent for.

The first stage is to go to the "Administration Panel", (click Administration and it will take you right there), and you will find yourself by default on the "Projects" page. You will then need to open each project, (you will see them listed in the main part of the window, so just clicking on each one will lead you to their respective "Project Administration" pages.

When you are on one of the "Project Administration" pages, the next stage is to go to the "Project Configuration" page for that project, this can be found behind a link named "Configure" which will be parallel to the "JIRA Project" option. If you have clicked on the correct option you will be taken to the "Project Configuration" page where you will see options for such things as "Issue Types", "People", "Versions", "Components" and "Workflows". By scrolling to the bottom of the "Project Configuration" page you will find the "Notifications" section.

In the "Notifications" section of the "Project Configuration" page, you should click on either the "Scheme" or the "More" options to then be taken to the "Notifications Configuration" page where you can then associate a project with a notification scheme. To do this you should click on the "Actions" option in the top right of the screen and then choose "Select Scheme" from the dropdown menu. This will then give you the option to select a Notification Scheme to associate with your project.

Usually you will find that you only have the option of the "Default Notification Scheme", however you can either create a new Notification Scheme or just edit the default as you require. Needless to say, you can also assoicate different projects with different schemes as you require, or even not associate certain projects with a notification scheme at all. I hope this sufficiently answers your question but if not then please don't hesitate to ask for clarification.

All the best,

John

1 vote
greg elofson April 28, 2012

The difficulty I am having with this problem, and it is not yet addressed in John's reply, has to do with setting up the SMTP server. The documentation's navigation and instructions do not conform to what is found on the actual OnDemnd screen:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+JIRA%27s+SMTP+Mail+Server+to+Send+Notifications

Thus far, while succeeding in configuring the project per John's instructions, no email notifications are being sent, yet. Can you advise on how to set up the SMTP mail server so that the notifications do get sent?

thanks,

Greg

Suggest an answer