Memory Configurations

Kristen Viscardi January 19, 2014

Are there specific memory settings that need to be set when installing JIRA?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2014

Further to Nic's suggestion that it is useful to monitor memory over a period (rather than just looking at an instant), I have found the free JavaMelody plugin to be very useful.

It is a bit of a fiddle to install but worth the effort. I have got all my servers emailing me nightly and weekly PDF reports. This allows me to look back at detailed monitoring data for any period in the past... helping me to spot some long term trends.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2014

Probably. Depends on what you are doing. Can't really tell you a lot more without knowing what Jira you want to use, how you want to use it, size, plugins, users, etc etc etc

Have a look at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+Requirements

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2014

I admit I was tempted for a second to answer "No".

Nic,

Which logs should we be looking in?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2014

@Radu- it's "no" if you've got Jira standalone and a small number of users with a small amount of data. But we didn't know that, so I thought I'd say so :-)

@Kristen- the application logs. Where they are depends on your setup, but the simple way to start is to look at "Admin -> System information" because it will tell you the exact location of the log file. That assumes Jira is running long enough for you to get there, but I'm not going to type the "how do I find my logs when it isn't usable" unless I really have to.

0 votes

How do we increase the JAVA memory allocation?

@nicThis is a screen shot from our instance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2014

Ok, that's the right screen. Memory looks a little low, but not scary at this point. Problem with a snapshot is what you really need to do is monitor it and watch it fluctuate - the variations are a lot more useful than a quick look.

You are on the right screen though - look for the log file location on there - I think you really need to be reading the log to work out what it is doing.

Is the an actual crash log? Is the log we are suppose to be looking for atlassian-jira.log? What would cause JIRA to hang?

@nic

JVM MINIMUM_MEMORY= "256m"

JVM MAXIMUM_MEMORY="768m"

To increase the memeory to 1 gig do we just typy in "1g"?

How do we increase the memory?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2014

You need to stop jumping to conclusions and random fixes. Why did you originally blame disk space? Why are you now blaming memory?

We have no idea what the actual problem is, and you've not shown any evidence of why you're jumping on these possibilities. It's a mistake I've made in the past and it's a very common pattern to fall into. The instinct to look at resourcing is generally an accurate one, but unfortunately, people VERY rarely look at the right resource.

Now. What does the log file say? Go back to your system information page and look for the section "file locations".

Change nothing until you've got a good reason to.

0 votes

What should we be looking for as our JIRA is crashing every 3 hours.

Suggest an answer