Change GreenHopper Create Board Permission

Jim Walker January 13, 2014

The default permission to create a board is the JIRA Create Shared Objects global permission. How can I change the permission to create a board to JIRA Administrators global permission instead of Create Shared Objects global permission?

By default, jira-users have the Create Shared Objects global permission. That is too broad a permission for our needs. We would like to have only a subset of jira-users able to create a board.

3 answers

0 votes
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2014

Hi James,

I am afraid/concerned that if I do so then it will have other undesired consequnces.

Can you give more details about what undesired consequences you're afraid of specifically? It may help us to clarify what you're unclear about here.

Is it possible to change it in such a way that 'create board' requires the JIRA Administrators global permission instead of the Create Shared Objects global permission?

No. The ability to create boards is governed by this Create Shared Objects permission. If you restrict this permission to Admins, it doesn't necessarily mean that ordinary users will no longer be able to create shared objects like search filters etc, they will. However whatever filters they create will not be visible to anybody eldse and they wouldn't be able to share it with other users without the "Create Shared objects" global permission.

By the way, if you wanted to raise a support ticket, you can do so by logging on to https://support.atlassian.com. However, straight forward usage or administration questions like this can be answered here quite easily.

Jim Walker February 2, 2014

I see your answer and additional explanations. They are clear.

I still feel that having all members of the jira-users group able to create a board is too broad a permission.

I woud like to pursue a change or fix that would allow me to restrict board creation to just specific users without removing jira-users from the Create Shared Objects permission.

What is the proper method for me to obtain such support from Atlassian?

0 votes
Taiwo Akindele
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2014

Hi James,

Simply remove the jira-users group from the 'Create Shared Objects' global permission. Instead, add only your Administrator or whatever other restricted group you have to 'Create Shared Objects' in order to restrict this permission.

Jim Walker January 15, 2014

Thank you for the answer. I was hoping that would not be the answer. I am afraid/concerned that if I do so then it will have other undesired consequnces.

The goal is that I desire to prevent the entire group of jira-users from creating boards without necessarily deleting jira-users from the Create Shared Objects global permission.

Is it possible to change it in such a way that 'create board' requires the JIRA Administrators global permission instead of the Create Shared Objects global permission?

Jim Walker January 21, 2014

Does anyone at Atlassian have a suggestion or an answer?

Jim Walker January 23, 2014

What is the proper process for me to use to get a direct answer from Atlassian on this topic?

0 votes
Jim Walker January 15, 2014

Does anyone have a suggestion as an answer to this question? Is there some way to escalate the question to Atlassian for an answer?

Suggest an answer