How do we create a dashboard/ radiator that can be displayed to non-users (i.e. management) without creating a user account?

Paul Stonehouse December 4, 2011

We want to create a webpage that non-JIRA users (i.e. people who do not have access to JIRA) can go to to get the project information. Our goal is to share the dynamic graphs and content created by GreenHopper and JIRA easily and quickly. Our basic need is to generate a radiator.

Today, the only solution I see is that we allow anyone to see all issues. Therefore, any user on my company network can look at every issue in the database. Although this would work in an ideal workspace, we would like to keep the internals of all issues closed to JIRA users.

Therefore, how do we create the graphs and content for JIRA, without a user account, and without showing all issues to everyone on the network?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark McD December 4, 2011

In order to make the data "public", even in aggregated form, you'll need to make the source data public. Unfortunately this is the nature of security.

What I did to work around this in my organisation was to use a wallboard, create a user called 'wallboard' (with appropriate permissions) and plug it into a TV with no input devices. It's not interactive but you might be able to do something similar with a dashboard.

Alternatively you could externalise the data using an app you write yourself (or perhaps Confluence?) and manage your own permissions.

Paul Stonehouse December 8, 2011

Thanks Mark, that is the answer I expected from all of my research. I thought there might be an easier way. The wallboard is definitely something I want to do here, that is part of the request.

1 vote
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2011

Hi Paul,

I asked Nicholas Muldoon about this and the most common approach appears to be creating a generic dashboard users - for instance on jira.atlassian.com we have a "greenhopper-wallboards" user. While this user can View the issues (for reporting) they do not have any Edit/Schedule/Resolve/etc permissions.

One alternative is to create a dashboard in Confluence, using the external authentication. That would allow JIRA to Confluence authentication as one user while still displaying the information in Confluence for all users (or at least those which have the page/space permissions).

Hope that helps,

Shaun

Paul Stonehouse December 8, 2011

Hi Shaun, I will need to look into confluence. Right now we are just running JIRA and GH

0 votes
Mark McD December 4, 2011

I've got an alternative solution that may or may not be practical, depending on your installation, budget & patience. Posting separately so you can up/down vote accordingly.

If don't want to force your management to have to authenticate, you can have it happen automatically (via SSO) if you tick all of these boxes:

• You run Crowd for your user directory in Jira
  • Your user(s) run a browser that supports native (more importantly transparent) Kerberos or NTLM authentication, such as Internet Explorer
  • You install this plugin to enable SSO via NTLM/Kerberos: https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/39713

I've not tried this combination myself, but it looks like it would work.

Suggest an answer