Can I configure Jira & Confluence to compress their rotated logs?

krussell101 November 18, 2013

Using logrotate, my system logs are rotated and compressed. Jira and Confluence are rotating their own logs, but not compressing them.

Is there a configuration change I can make such that Jira and Confluence will compress their own logs?

1 answer

0 votes
Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2013

Just adding ".gz" to the log's filename in log4j.properties file ought to be good enough to get JIRA and Confluence to compress their logs after rolling over.

krussell101 December 30, 2013

I am probably missing something. I understand that I can gzip the files myself and that will result in compressed files. But I'd like Jira to do this.

And I am completely NOT understanding how changing a file name will change Jira's behavior.

I apologize if I'm missing your point.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2013

Jira uses log4j for its logging. It might be possible to set a parameter in the log4j.properties file. It is unclear to me looking at the Jira log4j documentation which version Jira has since the documentation I was looking at did not seem to match the log4j file.

Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 30, 2013

Doh! My bad. I was using this feature on another project and didn't realize it wasn't supported on the version of log4j bundled with JIRA and Confluence (1.2.xx).

I'm not sure there's an easy way to get this done unless you're willing to perform a bit of extra work and script a solution.

Suggest an answer