Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I show/hide sidebar in the documentation theme depending on a URL parameter?

Jeff September 16, 2013

I have put together product documentation using the documentation theme and link to individual articles from different parts of the product. In some cases, I want the sidebar to be expanded and in other cases I want the sidebar to be hidden, depending on which page the article is linked from and how big the window will be.

The logical way to accomplish this would be to include some kind of flag to indicate whether the sidebar should be shown or hidden:

http://{article_link}?show_sidebar=1

I couldn't see an obvious way to do this, so I was curious to see if this seemed feasible to anyone.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2013

You could do something like this. I would add it to the "At end of the BODY" section of the Custom HTML page in Confluence Admin.

<script type="text/javascript">
AJS.toInit(function () {
	var show = getParameterByName('show_sidebar');
	var splitPos = AJS.$('#splitter .vsplitbar').css('left')
	if((show === '1' && splitPos === '0px') || (show === '0' && splitPos != '0px')) {
		AJS.$('#splitter-button').click();
	}
});

function getParameterByName(name) {
	name = name.replace(/[\[]/, "\\\[").replace(/[\]]/, "\\\]");
	var regex = new RegExp("[\\?&]" + name + "=([^&#]*)"),
	results = regex.exec(location.search);
	return results == null ? "" : decodeURIComponent(results[1].replace(/\+/g, " "));
}
</script>

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2013

Did this work for you?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events