How do you convert a JIRA project to a JIRA Agile project?

Fat Zebra August 26, 2013

I have a number of existing standard JIRA projects which were created before we started using Greenhopper/JIRA Agile.

I am wondering what the best way to convert these pojects over to Agile would be, or would I need to archive the old project and start a new one under the correct template?

5 answers

1 vote
B5A7 November 2, 2016

I arrived here looking to answer the question "how to change a jira project to scrum" - which I think is the essence of the question.  From a practical point of view - to manage the project as agile the final step is to create a board, specifying your project as the target project - creating a board is done from the view all boards screen.

1 vote
Roger Henty September 12, 2013

Hey Matthew,

If I were going to update an existing project for use with Greenhopper/JIRA Agile, I'd do the following:

1. Add the project to the enabled projects list for the plugin

2. Double check that my issue type scheme includes Epics, Stories, Tasks and Bugs (those are the only issue types I think of as essential for agile, I don't use JIRA's subtasks because we don't like the way they're represented on the planning board)

3. Make sure you've got a screen scheme for epics that includes the "epic name" field

4. Decide whether you'll be doing your estimates in time or story points and add the appropriate field to your create screens so folks can estimate as they go

With those pieces in place, most of the rest of the customization you'll want to do will be done through the rapid board itself.

I hope this helps and I didn't totally misunderstand what you're looking for :)

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2013

Theoretically, you just need to enable the project in "JIRA Agile". Practically, you might want to review your workflows, see if you want to make them Simplified workflows etc. You might also want to change the way to use estimates - Story Points or time estimates.

Most of these can be done in the old project itself.

Fat Zebra September 2, 2013

Thanks Jobin,

I think perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Ideally what I am looking for is the ability to move a standard project over to one suitable for Scrum or Kanban, so that it works with the rapidboards properly - is this possible?

0 votes
Katharine Park October 24, 2016

I would like to ask this question with the latest version of JIRA (server version 7.1.2).

I have an existing Business project and changed the project type to Software and added the Epic fields into the issue type "Task" but I am not able to create Epics through this project.

0 votes
Lathrop [PSU] October 11, 2013
Both of these answers are correct. You don't convert your JIRA project to be an Agile project. Agile is just a tool that allows you to visualize your existing JIRA tickets in a different way. A way that makes planning easier because you are looking across all tickets from a higher balcony. You will need to add the issue type Epic as it does carry unique abilities, but the others at just stand issue types with different names. You can use any issue type on your planning board by configuring the boards filter. That said, you very well might need to think about organizing your ticket data differently and adding fields like Epic Link to your existing screens. What fields you need to add and where will be determined by your business needs and workflow processes. Defining your needs and process first will make organizing your ticket data for Agile much easier. Keep posting questions. We'll keep trying to assist you!

Suggest an answer