Is it possible to import data from bugzilla to an ondemand jira instance?

Matt Scarisbrick November 10, 2011

If so, how!?

Many thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2011

Hi,

OnDemand comes by default with a little bit outdated JIRA Importers Plugin. In the past the importing required system admin permissions (and AFAIK such older version of importer may be available in OnDemand). So what I would do first is to upgrade this plugin to the lastest compatible version (that would be 3.5.2 at the time of writing it).

Then on demand JIRA instance may still hide from you the main page, so then use the trick with direct URL provided by Bastiaan.

Then you UI may look a little bit borked (JIRA Importers Plugin uses tabbed wizard which does not work great wrt UI in OnDemand - it will be fixed soon), but the import should work.

There is one important thing to notice: if you use more than just JIRA, then JIRA Importers Plugin will currently not configure newly created project or users in all part of the offering (other apps than JIRA). So if you want to have the users be able to use Confluence, Bamboo, etc. - you need to manually grant them the rights after the import is completed. You would also need to create manually corresponding Confluence space, Crucible project, SVN repo, etc.

Alternatively you could import from Bugzilla to a local, temporary JIRA installation (with the new installer that should be piece of cake), then do XML export and then import to OnDemand using Project Import (from XML).

This stuff is quite well described at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Importing+Issues

0 votes
Matt Scarisbrick December 7, 2011

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! I've managed this by doing bugzilla import into a local trial of JIRA and then onto the hosted instance.

0 votes
Bastiaan Jansen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2011

Yes it is :-)
Currently the tool is not yet customer facing but there is a little trick to get around this (you will need to be an administrator)
You can edit the following url so it points to your instance. This will then take you directly into the Bugzilla import tool:

http://yourinstancename.jira.com/secure/admin/views/ImporterSetupPage!default.jspa?externalSystem=Bugzilla

manuelmoreno December 26, 2011

This solution didn't work for me. I got this error:

Error connecting to the database: JDBC driver class not found: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 1, 2012

@Manuel: which JIRA version do you use? standalone or WAR distro? Standalone JIRA comes with JDBC drivers for MYSQL. You should be able to find it in lib directory of your JIRA install dir (a file named like mysql-connector-java-X.Y.Z.jar).

manuelmoreno January 1, 2012

It is a onDemand instance, I don't have access to the install.

I've managed this by doing bugzilla import into a local trial of JIRA and then JIRA export/import onto the hosted instance. Similar to Matt Scarisbrick. The only problem is to take care that the local trial has the same JIRA version as the onDemand instance. If they are different you will run into trouble. Also take into account that all JIRA projects not included in the JIRA import will be deleted.

Suggest an answer