What causes Commitment to be zero on my Velocity Chart?

BENJAMIN PAGET August 21, 2013

What causes Commitment to be zero on my Velocity Chart?

I believe all Stories had Story Point values before Starting the Sprint. Also, my first sprint had a value in Commitment. I don't know what I did differently.

My Board is configured to use Points for Estimation Statistic and Remaining Estimate and Time Spent for Time Tracking.

8 answers

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
BENJAMIN PAGET September 8, 2013

That did the trick; I got Commintment back. My lesson, sprint start time, after done planning sprint (seems obvious after the fact).

Dan Sellars January 15, 2014

I have the same problem, what did you do to get the commitment back for that sprint?

Cheers.

Like Agnes Varga likes this
BENJAMIN PAGET January 16, 2014

I don't believe I was able to change previously completed sprints, but for all subsequent, I made sure my sprint start date and time was before any work (status change or hours logged) was done on sprint items.

Similarly when completing the sprint, make sure end date and time are after everything for the sprint has been updated in Jira.

Hope that helps.

Shrihari Kulkarni February 13, 2019

I really could not understand - what to do you mean here in your answer, I think, what Paul Greg mentions is correct (below).

Like # people like this
7 votes
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 29, 2013

Hi Benjamin,

Just wanted to help you out on this issue :) It sounds like you have added issues to your sprint after the sprint has begun. As discussed in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Viewing+the+Velocity+Chart the 'Commitment' value is calculated on the issues and stories added before the start of the sprint.

A quick way to find issues or stories that were added after the sprint start is to view the Sprint Report. Issues that have a star next to the key were added after the beginning of the sprint.

To resolve the issue in future sprints you would create the sprint, add the issues from your backlog and then begin the sprint.

Cheers,

Paul

4 votes
Ali Sohail December 31, 2018

I had the same problem and here's how I solved it for a past sprint:

1) From the velocity report, go to the sprint in question from the list below the visual chart.

2) Reopen the sprint, from the options in the '...' menu on the right

3) Go to the backlog and edit the start time of this sprint to later than when the stories with asterisks* were added.

4) Close the sprint again.

Now the commitment will include all the stories with a time stamp before the start time you entered. 

James Peterson January 30, 2019

Perfect - thanks. That sorted it for me.

Like Ali Sohail likes this
Yixuan Huang February 25, 2019

hello Ali & all,

when i tried to use that method, i met one issue, i can see commitment from 0 -> right number, but completed from right number -> 0? any idea? 

thanks,

Eugene

Ali Sohail February 26, 2019

That's strange.

I just made sure all the items were part of the re-opened sprint (with starting time adjusted) at the point when I closed it again and it worked.

May be try it again, making sure the individual tickets are actually 'done,' as per their workflows...

Yixuan Huang February 27, 2019

yes. i have tried several times, no effect for me. 

Roy Keyes April 1, 2019

This response was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks @Ali Sohail for the good information and direction on how to do this. Saved my bacon, because I had forgotten to close out 7 tasks that were sitting in testing and "technically" complete!

Gizem_Kılınç July 4, 2019

Hi Ali,

I had the same problem and it is solved with your help, thanks. But, I want to remind to you that with reopening sprint, burndown chart end date changes and this also leads to distortion of the chart. 

Like Kevin likes this
Anda Rebecca Borze July 10, 2019

Hi, 

I have also just tried this and it did not work for me. When reaching out to Atlassian Support, I was informed that this is not a viable workaround. They have, however, raised a feature request for this so I suggest we get some more votes on it here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-20136

Another proposed, but not necessarily recommended workaround, was modifying the history entry of the entry when the issue was added to Sprint - that would need to be changed in the database though and can potentially cause data integrity issue. 

Hope this helps!

Matt O'Toole February 17, 2020

We're using a new world project and those options don't appear to be available (to re-open, edit the start date and close a sprint). ☹️

0 votes
Bhadram December 11, 2020

One of the possible reasons, may be board settings.
Goto Board Settings and check under "Estimation" for "Estimation Statistic". If this set to "Story Points" then Committed Story Points will be shown in Velocity Chart.

darlene.salvador June 4, 2021

I don't see the option for "Estimation" under Board Setting.  Is it because I am using Next Gen version?

0 votes
Ivonne Rivas September 21, 2015

Even though our sprints begins after we complete the sprint planning currently I have the project showing only commitment in the first sprint in the Velocity Chart, I have two additional sprint without commitment, any updates and/or hit to be able to register the sprint commitments?

0 votes
BENJAMIN PAGET September 3, 2013

My Administrator submitted the question to Atlassian Tech Support and I believe the root cause is self-inflicted (I will confirm when completing my active Sprint Friday).

During Sprint Planning, we added Stories to the Sprint, with Story Points and then I Started the Sprint. However, after hitting Start Sprint, I changed the Start Time to the beginning of the day. Since the Stories had a later timestamp, they were consider added after the Start and thus not part of the Sprint Commitment.

Changing the Start Time of my Active Sprint (to after Sprint Planning completed) has already cleaned up my Burndown chart, so I'm hoping my Commitment value will be non-zero. If so, I will keep the default Start Time (current time) when Starting future Sprints.

Marla Landolt February 1, 2014

It's been months since the thread started, but I'm in the same situation.

So , no changes to the past sprint possible, ie, the velocity chart is screwed up for ever as far as tracking goes?

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2013

Try configuring your Estimate to use the Commitment field instead of Story Points

BENJAMIN PAGET August 28, 2013

Thank you Matt. I checked the Estimation options and Commitment is not one of the available options.

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2013

Hey there, Benjamin.

Could there be an inconsistency in your JIRA instance that causes the values not being displayed properly? Have you tried to perform reindexing (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Re-Indexing+after+Major+Configuration+Changes) to see if you still have the same issue? I am suspecting this since you mentioned that yor first sprint didn't suffer from this problem.

Warm regards,

Danial

BENJAMIN PAGET August 26, 2013

Thank you Danial! I will reach out to our admin and find out.

Ben

BENJAMIN PAGET August 27, 2013

Our Jira admin just completed the reindexing and unfortunately the issue still exists (verlocity chart is still showing zero for commitment on last two sprints)

Suggest an answer