Search pages based on @Mentions

Chad Barnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2011

Is there a way to search based on a specific @Mention? For example, find all pages that have used "@John Doe" as a mention.

10 answers

2 accepted

14 votes
Answer accepted
Ole Kristensen April 25, 2012

A search macro for @mentions would be nice!

9 votes
Answer accepted
Ali Altiparmak January 3, 2017
  1. Go to search page -> https://YOURINSTANCE.atlassian.net/wiki/dosearchsite.action  (or type something on right top search bar and hit enter)
  2. On Search Page, click "Add a filter" link on left sidebar
  3. Select "MENTIONING USER" filter
  4. Type related user and select one in suggested
  5. Voila!

natalia_lezhai March 5, 2020

hi there

i could not find "Add a filter" link on left sidebar in our Confluence cloud instance 

Ali Altiparmak March 5, 2020

This filter does not appear in the new version. Please use (YOURINSTANCE).atlassian.net/wiki/dosearchsite.action address to use this filter. So change the URL on the browser manually. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-05 at 15.01.37.png

Like # people like this
Joost Eijkenboom July 8, 2020

Hi! This doesn't work for me. Following that link brings me to the normal search page. There is no such function as "mentioning user" 

There seems to be some redirect in place 

XXX.atlassian.net/wiki/search?redirect=true

Christina August 10, 2020

I also tried to follow that instruction, but unfortunately, wasn't successful

Ali Altiparmak August 10, 2020

Hmmm, currently It works for me; maybe there are some differences between cloud instance. 

Deleted user May 18, 2021

I was able to find pages where i was mentioned using this: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/confluence/advanced-searching-using-cql/

1. Go to your Profile and copy your account-id from the address-bar. (e.g.: 99:27935d01-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-a9b8d3b2ae2e)

2. Use the following in the search field `mention = "99:27935d01-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-a9b8d3b2ae2e"`

The article also mentions another query that could be useful:

_Find all content that mentions the user with accountId 99:27935d01-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-a9b8d3b2ae2e, but was not created by the same user_

`mention = "99:27935d01-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-a9b8d3b2ae2e" and creator != "99:27935d01-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-a9b8d3b2ae2e"`

Edit: It appears this does not work as I thought it would. This searches for the literal string of your account-id.  However, this still finds all the pages you were mentioned on.

The advanced search CQL is only available for the REST API.

Like # people like this
5 votes
Chengchen Li February 10, 2021

Is there no solution still even now? this would be really handy so we can resolve all items where our names have been mentioned. ...the thread seemed to have started 9 years ago.... did any one find a solution??

2 votes
Sam Sterling September 2, 2021

Seems like a lot of people are looking for this feature for the same reason we are. We designate a username as the page owner/subject matter expert, and we would like a way to easily see all the pages in which that person's username appears. We are on cloud. Even if the search feature worked (it doesn't seem to) then that wouldn't be helpful/practical for most of our users. 

Cassandra Yee September 7, 2021

Bump - this would be incredibly useful for my organization as well. 

1 vote
Mike James September 3, 2020

this is broken! in 2020!?! 

0 votes
Yana Stoliarova May 17, 2021

Confluence Server 7.11.1:

I just tried to enter in the Search and it worked well:

@username

Remember to select a Type as Page in this case.

0 votes
Daniel Morales September 16, 2020

There's a workaround if filtering by:

comment ~ "user_id" ORDER BY updated DESC

Where user_id is found in the URL when going to your Jira Profile screen. (Click on your profile image on the top-right corner).

0 votes
Tom Dickson June 11, 2014

I just searched for @username and it seems to have worked. Not 100% certain, though.

Thomas Wendel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2014

This could be working indeed!

But as Tom pointed out, I'm not a 100% sure either. Does a search for @username really search for mentions only? Or are there hits in the results where only the username (without being specifically being a mention) is on a page?

Chad Barnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 11, 2014

Thanks guys. But not really working. I just created a new page with a raw username on it (not an @mention). I can gaurantee that the username was not searchable before adding it to the page (just created the user).

A search for @username returned the search result for the raw username. So, it appears the search field is ignoring the '@' notation.

0 votes
Rhyne Armstrong November 10, 2011

With the SQL plugin, I have been able to pull a list of my pages that contain a specific string in the content. I wonder if you could do the same thing, where you create a table and just do a sql query for the SME field, returning the name there in your query output.

Chad Barnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I think if we were to go through this much work we may instead investigate writing a search plug-in macro for @Mentions.

Like Chris Purser likes this
0 votes
Sherif Mansour
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2011

Hi Chad,

We don't really have a good way of doing this right now. Can I ask why this is important to you?

Chad Barnes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 10, 2011

We are creating pages in confluence, one for each deliverable in our product. As we are defining the page (as a small group of people) we are adding @Mentions in the pages as a way of identifying subject matter experts (from the larger group of people). This is convenient because we can associate some people with the content and they get emailed as a heads-up. Later on we would like to run some reports (searches) based on subject matter experts to see which deliverables they are associated with.

I think this will be a big time saver when we start turning our deliverables into JIRA tasks and making formal assignments.

Like Djahari Clark likes this
Thomas Wendel
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2014

I know it's been a while since this question was asked. But I'm looking for a solution to this problem as well. Any news on this?

Tom Dickson June 11, 2014

I could use this; we have a user that we want to find all mentions of so we can update it to the proper account.

Micah Tan November 10, 2015

Bump. This is useful for when you have people changing roles (or leaving the team) and somebody else needs to understand what they've been responsible for.

Lesley MacNeil March 2, 2016

This is really frustrating not having this ability. I have several teams that are using the @mention across different spaces. I need to be able to search for particular users to see where they have been mentioned in order to see what they may have been assigned.

Like # people like this
Deleted user March 16, 2016

We would also need this search feature, as we need to track open questions that have not been assigned as tasks

Atlassian Administrator May 16, 2016

We would also really appreciate this feature. Several users have requested a 'way to see everything that they have been tagged in'. 

Bettina Klammer August 4, 2016

The same applies to us

Marcos Lopez-Carlson October 13, 2016

+1

Angelica Kuncheff November 3, 2017

As a work around you can use the task box in front of the mention and then use "task report" macro.. 

James Becker November 10, 2017

Implementing this issue seems like a no-brainer.

Our team could really use the ability to search current sprint for @mentions in the comment section.  Multiple issues of ours in Testing have been commented on, but we have to click on each issue and scroll through to comments to find where we have been mentioned, which seems to defeat the purpose of @mentions altogether.

Mark Mulert August 2, 2018

We assign Actions to individuals by include @ mention in the Action bullet item. I would like this filter to see all of my "Actions" across all spaces.

Ethan Larson November 29, 2018

I just found this because we need this feature as well.

rbonora July 31, 2019

+1 very surprise that it's so hard to find a way to see a list of My Mentions or specific user's mentions

Kim Hirschman January 29, 2020

+1 We really need this too.  We have a set of pages where people are assigned different roles.  I don't care about the role at this point but I need a quick way to get a list of all pages where I am mentioned as people are expecting me to do something about them!

Djahari Clark September 10, 2020

We could really use this feature as well.

Dan Mou September 14, 2020

Wait.... there's still no way to do this??? 

Like clare.bowyer likes this
Christina September 14, 2020

I would also like to have this feature to track where I've been mentioned, to not oversee anything that hasn't been tackled yet.

CJ September 21, 2020

My company needs this too and it makes no sense that it cant be done.

Kyle Montgomery December 15, 2020

I used to be able to search where I was mentioned. Now I can't. This means people who asked me or another team member a question aren't getting their answers.

Like Herbert Polzhoer likes this
Deleted user May 17, 2021

On cloud instances unfortunately it is not possible do run such a query, as far as I could find out.

But you can use the REST API as follows:

https://<your site name>.atlassian.net/wiki/rest/api/content/search?cql=mention%20in%20("id:uuid")

To get the user id in that form, open the user's profile and the this id is located in the url after the /people/ part in the url.

You could also use the official python REST client library and initiate the same cql with the following library call:

confluence.cql(f'mention in ("{mention}")'01000) 

Here is the link to the python library's documentation: https://atlassian-python-api.readthedocs.io/confluence.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events