Why do completed User Stories remain in backlog

Rebecca Lavash July 30, 2013

We just started using Jira for Agile development and I noticed today that our COMPLETED user stories/issues are retained in the backlog. This is NOT good since it means the backlog is going to get very full and therefore, pretty useless as a place to store future user stories.

Is it possible to get this completed user stories out of the backlog without deleting them? It seems to me they should be retained for at least a year after the work is completed but should not display in the backlog because they are not the backlog, they are completed.

thanks

Becky

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rebecca Lavash July 31, 2013

It turns out that the old user stories were not fully closed and accepted. Completing that process removed them from the backlog in the Plan View.

Rajib Ahmed December 4, 2019

What exactly did you do?

0 votes
Rebecca Lavash July 30, 2013

I am using the planning board in Jira. I can see the current iteration and the previous iteration, and the backlog.

The user stories that are still appearing in the backlog are completed, have been assigned to a release in both the "affects version" and "fixed version" fields.

The user stories that are in the backlog and completed were in Sprints, although i can not verify since I can't see older sprints.

Does that help?

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 30, 2013

When you're using Greenhopper, you need to try and do as much of your work in Greenhopper as possible. It is a wrapper around Jira standard functions, but it is doing more and more things outside of Jira. The notion of a backlog is a Greenhopper function. Jira has no such native function. In Greenhopper, when you assign an issue to a sprint, it moves from the backlog. If you never assign the issue to a sprint and someone resolves the issue in Jira, you can have this problem. Another area you can get in trouble on is Epics. If you close an Epic in Jira, you won't be able to complete it in Greenhopper until you reopen the issue.

0 votes
Remigiusz Jackowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2013

Completed issues are still in backlog, till you assign them to version and release that version.

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2013

This is essentially the issue; any issue which would match the underlying filter, and is not assigned to a sprint, will appear in your backlog. I would suggest updating your JQL WHERE clause to avoid this if possible by including something like "AND (issue is NOT resolved AND issue NOT IN openSprints() and issue NOT IN closedSprints() )" - which should exlude any issues that are resolved but not in sprints.

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2013

What kind of board are you using? Usually, once you complete a sprint the stories that have been completed in the sprint disappear from the planning board...

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2013

...and boards are based on filters or quick filters...Just filter on stories that have NOT been completed..

Suggest an answer