How do I delete users in JIRA on demand?

Juan Banda July 11, 2013

I've tried to delete an user and I've got an error message that said that that user name was related to number or resolved issues and comments, what I did then was to reopen those issues and reasign them and manually delete all user's comments.

This was a user that left my organization after a short period and the manual process was not that painful, still I don't want to be in the situation to delete a user that has been around for years and has contributed in a number of issues.

So the questions is, how can I delete a user in JIRA&Confluence without the extra manual work that I've described?

Thanks.

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Justin Alex Paramanandan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2013

It seems that in OnDemand, there's no implementation of the inactive feature that is available in the JIRA standalone version. However, you don't necessarily have to delete the user; even though he has left the company. You can remove this user from accessing all products in OnDemand's Application Access mechanism; in which when a user is revoke access to applications, the license count would be reduced by 1 headcount.

Try this out and let us know how it goes for you.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2013

James has the right basic idea.

Most Jira sites don't delete users. Removing the user's groups and roles prevents them from doing anything (if you've got very open permissions, maybe reset their password too). Set their email to a black hole so no mail goes out, and rename them to <username><left> or <username><inactive>.

This way, you retain the history and tracking, you don't need to update issues, and you free up a licence seat with minimal fuss.

Not *always* appropriate, but does everything you need for most users.

0 votes
Juan Banda July 12, 2013

I'm going to Administration/User Management/Users and then Edit, same thing for you James?

James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2013

You are using on demand (I just realized) and I am using downloaded. So I guess they could be different. But yea, I am going to Admin - Users Then editing a paticular user then I get the checkbox.

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2013

Hey Juan, Not sure on that. I see the Full Name, Email and the a checkbox below that for active. Not sure why on the difference. Sorry.

0 votes
Juan Banda July 12, 2013

I don't see the active checkbox when I edit, it only presents a popup where I can change the Full Name or the Email.

0 votes
Juan Banda July 12, 2013

How do I make them inactive? Under Operations I only see these options: Groups, Project Roles, Edit and Delete.

James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2013

Edit -> then unclick the active checkbox.

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2013

Can't you just make them inactive?

James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2013

That way you don't lose the history, and it should free up the license.

Suggest an answer