how to filter epics on agile board

Andres Velasco July 5, 2013

I want to be able to hide closed epics when I am on the Agile Board view, I want to see only the open epics so i can take care of them and forget about the ones that were already closed. Right now we have closed many of them and they are still there difficulting the manouver with the open ones.

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Ram Muthiah July 5, 2013

Click the down arrow next to epic and select "Mark as done". That should hide the epic in the board view.

You may get the error message which is totally meaningless. If that happens, check if the epic is "closed" instead of "resolved". If closed, reopen the epic, resolve it, then "mark as done", then close it.

Andres Velasco July 9, 2013

I was able to mark the epic as done, but it is not working for other issues they get a "you don't have permissions" message even tough they are the owners of the agile board, do you have which permission should they have to accomplish this?

Andres Velasco July 9, 2013

Nevermind I figured out the issue, our Epics were closed that's why we were getting that error (error message was not too descriptive as you already notice).

Ryan Flores July 22, 2015

It seems rather *redundant* in my opinion to have to click *Mark As Done*. The reason why I say this is because if I mark an Epic as done using the Agile Board, I would expect the Epic's status to change to either Done or Closed. However, that does not happen. I still have to go and close the Epic. The inverse is true as well as described by the OP.

Lars Sundell October 12, 2015

This kind of works, but it is a failed implementation in my view. If an Epic is closed you cannot use the feature unless you reopen, click "mark as done" and then manually close the epic again. That is just to much work, and what you actually are doing are the same thing twice which is waste. What we need is that the board ether has a configuration setting to hide closed epics, or that it honors a filter of this type " ... (issuetype = epic AND resolution != Unresolved). Another alternative could be to use a post function to set the epic status to Done which is what I suspect is happening when you click the mark epic as done. Unfortunately the selection of fields you can update with a post function is lacking to say it mildly and Epic status is not on the list.

Like Kaspar von Gunten likes this
0 votes
Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 13, 2017

@Andres Velasco

Soon will be releasing a new version of the Agile Board FIlter which will include new filters

• Uncompleted
  • Unestimated

Uncompleted.png

Fred Ausseur March 26, 2021

@Prem Chudzinski _extensi_  Sorry if I dig up an old string of messages...

Is there a way to add some sort of quick filter to the epics ? I manage a backlog that gathers several project. I want to filter the epics by projects... is that possible ? thx

0 votes
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2013

A better way is to link the Epic Status to the Workflow Status, as done in HowTo: Track Epics on the Control Chart. That way, you just transition them like Issues and the Epic Status just works. Also, this means you can look at them on the Control Chart etc.

Lars Sundell August 15, 2017

I am unable to follow this guide. I hit a hurdle in stem 13. The post function mentioned (Update Issue Custom Field) is not abailable in out JIRA version (7.3.1, hosted). Is there any setting/config that needs to be done to make it available?

0 votes
Andres Velasco July 7, 2013

Mark as done worked perfectly, thanks!

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2013
Did you try quickfilters?
Andres Velasco July 7, 2013

Thanks but quickfilters only works on issues not Epics

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2013
Exactly. Sry i missed the content somehow

Suggest an answer