Reporter and creator is different

Mohammed Rashid June 30, 2013

Hi,

A Customer has created a ticket and mentioned the reporter of the ticket to different user.

Is there any way to find out which user has logged in and created the ticket.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Regards,

Rash

8 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2013

Not really. When you create an issue, Jira creates it with whatever reporter the user enters. That's it, the first time the issue exists as an entity, it has the reporter on it. If the user changed it from themselves to someone else, you're a bit stuck, because the person doing the typing doesn't actually commit that into the issue.

There's two easy workarounds to prevent the loss of information, but neither will help you for older issues:

1. Use a post-function to set a custom field (I call it "creator") to %Currentuser% on the create transition

2. Remove reporter from the "create issue" screen, so it always logs the current person (and if they need to change it later, leave it on the edit screen)

You can try to work it out from watchers and project activity etc, but that's not always clean enough.

Yes.. This can be done for future issues...

Trent Larson December 16, 2013

Unfortunately, solution #2 still causes confusion in the Activity section: even after creating an issue with myself as the reporter by default, if I change to another reporter then that new person suddenly shows in the Activity section as the person who created it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2013

Yes, that's correct behaviour, given that Jira doesn't log creator correctly. I prefer solution 1 as it's perfectly clear

Johannes Rudolf November 1, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

solution 1 would require an app like JMWE, right? Or can we user Script runner for it?

We're using Jira 8.5.x and Service Desk 4.5 (where agents can create issues on ne behalf of others. I hardly couldn't find a way with Script Runner but have to confess that I only have a little but growing experience with Groovy. We're using one of the recent versions of Script Runner.

Cheers,

Johannes

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 1, 2020

Yes, (this is a 7 year old question and some things have changed). JMWE, Scriptrunner are certainly the candidates where I absolutely know it works.  There are a couple of other apps.

However, in those last 7 years, Atlassian have added a creator system-field to issues as well, so you should not need any code at all!

Like Shaun Smith likes this
0 votes
Konrad Siejka May 11, 2016

Next workaround. Use Script runner plugin:

Add Scripted field

import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUsers;
import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser;
ApplicationUser CreatorUsr = ApplicationUsers.from(issue.getCreator());
return CreatorUsr

choose User picker (single user) template

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2016

You don't need any workarounds any more - Atlassian fixed it  a couple of years back.

0 votes
Kalen Brown January 8, 2016

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-4618 is closed and they have done something due to this problem.

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2013

User is automaticaly added to the watchers list (click on the number of watchers to see the Watchers list).

Sometimes (if jira is configured to send notifications to watchers on creation and if there is no other postfunction to add additional users to watchers list on create transition) is possible to find the user in log file of the mail server. Search to whom of the watchers email has been sent (with Issue created event).

0 votes
AmandaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2013

Also, there is an Improvement ticket regarding to this feature.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-4618

You can vote it for furture Implementation.

0 votes

Yes..but how do we find the watchers of an issue?

0 votes

Yes.. How will we find the watchersof an issues

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2013

Do you have system configured to automaticaly add "real reporter" as a watcher?

Suggest an answer