Can I rename a completed sprint?

Lee Cash May 28, 2013

An old, dummy sprint I created actually uses a naming convention that I need to use going forward. So, I now have two sprints with the exact same name; one real and one for test purposes. This is somewhat confusing for my engineers.

I know how to rename an active sprint, but is there a way to rename a sprint that was created and is now completed?

Many thanks in advance,

Lee

8 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
aielo March 3, 2014

Just had the same problem and I don't have access to query the database directly.

So I've found an alternative that seems even better, since you don't have to restart/reindex Jira. There's no back-end validation/restriction for renaming a completed sprint, so I just called the service that makes the change:

http[s]://{jira base URL}/jira/rest/greenhopper/1.0/sprint/{sprint id}

{sprint id} value can be retrieved on the report section, by inspecting (browser) the sprint name, and searching by the "data-sprint-id" attribute value.

The request must use the PUT method, and must contain some specific headers. I recommend you rename an open sprint and inspect the request done (using Network from Chrome/FF Firebug, for example), so you can replicate those headers.

A sample raw body (JSON format) for the request:

{"name":"My new name for sprint","startDate":"03/Feb/14 3:31 PM","endDate":"03/Feb/14 4:58 PM"}

Hope it helps.

Edit: Greenhopper 6.1

Matt Harasymczuk April 13, 2014

It worked:

USERNAME="myuser"
PASSWORD="mypass"
URL="https://myjira.atlassian.net"
SPRINTID="1"
NEW_SPRINT_NAME="my new sprint name"
NEW_START_DATE="06/Apr/14 8:00 PM"
NEW_END_DATE="14/Apr/14 1:18 PM"

curl -u$USERNAME:$PASSWORD '$URL/rest/greenhopper/1.0/sprint/$SPRINTID' -X PUT -H 'Accept: application/json, text/javascript, */*; q=0.01' -H 'Accept-Language: pl,en-us;q=0.7,en;q=0.3' -H 'Connection: keep-alive' -H 'Content-Type: application/json; charset=UTF-8' --data '{"name":"$NEW_SPRINT_NAME","startDate":"$NEW_START_DATE","endDate":"$NEW_END_DATE"}'

Remember that user must be in Administrator role for this project.

Tested with Jira Agile 6.3.12

Like Clarinha likes this
Andreas Ebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2016

Fyi, does not work anymore with JIRA Agile 6.7.12.

Tom Rutherford August 22, 2016

Also not working on JIRA Agile v6.4.5 - API returns error message:

{"errorMessages":["Cannot update closed sprint"],"errors":{}}

Tracked by https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSW-12845

Like Clarinha likes this
12 votes
Raphael Charolois February 6, 2019

As there is no simple way to do it in recent versions of JIRA (I am using JIRA cloud...), can we reopen this ticket ?

9 votes
Ian Lai February 8, 2018

In newer versions of JIRA (I'm on 7.6.3), you can do this a little more directly:

1. Go to the Sprint Report
  2. Select the sprint you want to rename
  3. Click the ellipses button (...)
  4. Select Edit Sprint
  5. Change the name to whatever you'd like, and click Save
geddylee March 19, 2018

Thank you!!

Siti Qursyinah Salman June 11, 2018

is not working for the latest version

So, any suggestion regarding this problem

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 8.58.56 AM.png

Like # people like this
Julie Calboutin July 2, 2018

I just found the same thing, it is no longer available in Sprint Report. Is this intentional? Is there another way to rename a closed Sprint?

Deleted user July 4, 2018

I was able to reopen the Sprint and update the name and close it back !

Raphael Charolois February 6, 2019

Unfortunately, doing this can mix up some time tracking & life cycle of some tickets. I would not recommend doing so.  

Like # people like this
Korayem February 13, 2019

FML Atlassian!

So, let me get this straight.... it was there and then they removed it!!! WTF!

Like # people like this
Jeff Angus March 1, 2019

Atlassian, any update on this by chance?  We REALLY need to rename our sprints but do not want to re-open the sprint and mess up dates.

Like # people like this
Deleted user December 30, 2019

Not being able to go back and modify something as simple as the NAME of a Sprint (which is a Database indexed text field anyway) is ridiculous...we're not modifying the id of the table...it's a text field.

Like # people like this
7 votes
krystalcode June 6, 2013

Is this possible somehow in JIRA OnDemand?

2 votes
DAO VINH LOC February 5, 2017

Reopen the sprint in Sprint Report then you can rename it on the Backlog as normal.

Delfin Devassy April 20, 2017

Yes, that solved the problem.

grojas November 14, 2017

this solution is avaible in some versions 

Kris Khaira June 11, 2019

This may not be a good solution. Someone above mentioned that doing this can mix up some time tracking & life cycle of some tickets.

1 vote
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 28, 2013

It is possible to do it via the database query:

1. Locate the sprint that you want to rename:

select * from "AO_60DB71_SPRINT" where "CLOSED" = 't';
2.  then update the related spirnt name in the name column value.
3.  You need to restart JIRA to make the modification available.
Lee Cash May 29, 2013

Many thanks for this. It's unfortunate that this can only be changed at the database level, but I'll speak to my JIRA adminstrator and see if he can perform this change.

TSO Logic Admin December 13, 2013

How about for those of us who have Sprints from the very beginning of the Rapidboards? Isn't there going to be a problem with how the refs used to be by name (now by ID) or something?

I am hesitant to try such manual overrides directly in DB without understanding the full implications.

Thank you,

Johnny

shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 31, 2018

could we do this, reopen sprint-change name of sprint then again close it

0 votes
majofrancis December 7, 2020

To rename a Completed Sprint :

Go to the 'Report' Tab and select the 'Sprint Report' in the dropdown.

Select your Sprint from the dropdown. Click 'Edit Sprint' and rename it.

Thanks,
Majo

Chau Vu December 8, 2020

Hey @majofrancis

I actually just tried this with no luck. I only have option to select reopen or delete sprint. Can you point me in the right direction?

majofrancis December 9, 2020

Hi @Chau Vu 

I am not quite sure why the "Edit Sprint" option is missing for you. Can you please verify your project permissions to manage Sprints ?

FYI I am logged in as JIRA-admin and my instance is JIRA 8.5 server version. 

Please PFB the screen snip from my instance.

Sprint.png

Chau Vu December 14, 2020

Thanks for getting back to me @majofrancis

I'm using Atlassian Cloud and am on Jira Premium 6.0.5

Like jeremy_h likes this
Aditya Shivkumar February 17, 2021

Hi @majofrancis

I am facing the same issue as @Chau Vu . I checked the permissions as well I have admin rights and am still unable to see the edit sprint option on the dropdown. Any suggestions here? 

Francesco Politi March 25, 2021

Me too. Jira Cloud. No such thing as "Edit Sprint" for completed sprint. Admin rights and all. Thanks

Giannis Giannakopoulos September 19, 2021

Same here. Jira Cloud. No such thing as "Edit Sprint" for completed sprint. Admin rights and all. Is there any update on this question?

0 votes
PhilB June 6, 2013

You are likely to also have to reindex your Jira instance after touching the database manually like that.

Lynn Gariepy
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2013

does this work on all versions?

I have v6.0.8.

Thanks, Lynn

Suggest an answer