Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem upgrading to 6.0

Jouni Renfors May 21, 2013

I've upgrade to 6.0 using the installer on linux x64. After I've restarted I'm getting the following error and cannot access jira.

2013-05-22 10:25:08,308 localhost-startStop-1 INFO [atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl] Performing Upgrade Task: Converting default Custom field values for User and MultiUser types to store the key of the user rather than the

username.

2013-05-22 10:25:08,308 localhost-startStop-1 ERROR [atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl] Exception thrown during upgrade: java.lang.NullPointerException

com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:112)

at

2 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 22, 2013

Hey there, Jouni.

Seems like the NullPointerException is causing the trouble here. I believe that you are using the Script Runner (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner) in your JIRA?

Warm regards,

Danial

Jouni Renfors May 22, 2013

You were right. I disabled Script Runner and the upgrade went through. Thanks!

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 27, 2013

Hey there, Jouni.

Perfect! Good to hear that. You are welcome!

Warm regards,

Danial

Khanh Nguyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2014

So is the solution to disable or uninstall? the script runner plugin prior to the export XML in Jira 5.1.4 (as we are not upgrading in place) then import in to Jira 6.1.6 and install/enable scriptrunner for the upgrade to go. . . we have fighting this lazyreference problem for weeks now when attempting this upgrade.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 8, 2014

Add it back after upgrading.

Khanh Nguyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2014

do I need to uninstall or disable the plugin prior to taking the export XML from jira v5.1.4? We took the export from Jira v5.1.4 with the script runner plugin enabled and ran into this error. . . is the trick to uninstalled the plugin first from Jira v5.1.4 before taking the export xml.

Thanks for the quick response Jamie.

Khanh Nguyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2014

Also, in doing the export with the plugin unistalled or disabled, would we the export miss any script runner definitions and when imported into Jira Upgraded v6*, and scriptrunner added pst upgrade, whould all the script runner script fields, etc... be present.

Thanks again!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 8, 2014

> do I need to uninstall or disable the plugin prior to taking the export XML from jira v5.1.4?

Makes no difference.

would we the export miss any script runner definitions and when imported into Jira Upgraded v6

Yeah everything will be present.

Having never had this problem myself I can't offer a better solution.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2013

I need to check this out, but you should be fine to re-enable after the upgrade has finished.

Tom Jackson
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 10, 2013

We just ran into this bug. We tried to upgrade a 5.2.11 instance to 6.0.8 that had Script runner 2.1.7 installed. I rolled back, uninstalled script runner, and was able to successfully upgrade.

Charles Albrecht November 7, 2013

Jamie, any word on this?

I ran into this doing a 5.2 to 6.2EAP in our testbed. We have one script runner-backed custom field which doesn't inclue any user values (exposes a project's category as an exportable entity). But the advice above has - so far - allowed us to proceed further with with the upgrade.

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 8, 2014

Hi Jamie,

Bumped into the same issue, workaround is ok.
Logging - if helpful - http://pastebin.com/EYKgwTKK

Francis

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events