Is there a way to assign an issue to the Project Lead in a workflow transition?

Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2011

There are three "assignment" types of Post functions out of box: assign to current user, lead developer and reporter. There is no option to assign to Project Lead.

I also tried to add a Proj Lead custom field hoping we can update the field using Update Issue Field post function. However, it seems only the system fields show up as the available fields for update.

Any plugin out there that would allow an issue to be auto-assigned to Project Lead during a workflow transition?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 14, 2011

I think you can do this using the Misc Workflow Extensions plugin. There's a post function in the list that says:

Assign to Lead Developer

Assigns the issue to the component lead (if one exists) or project lead.

The one issue I can see is that you may run into a problem if there ia component lead exists, but it's worth testing I think. Maybe someone knows of another post function that does this purely or perhaps you can modify it to just assign to a project lead.

Danielle Zhu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2011

Thanks Adam for pointing me to this. I can create a project role for Project Lead. Since the plugin allows me to assign to a role, it would solve my problem.

Aaron Bauman February 9, 2016

These two particular post functions - which would be super useful - are not available in the cloud version of the plugin.

4 votes
Leigh Ellis July 23, 2015

Why isn't this part of the basic functionality? Smh

0 votes
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2011

You are welcome. Glad that helped.

Suggest an answer