Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confluence Git plugin

Mark L. Smith April 21, 2013

Howdy,

We have a Git plugin for JIRA. In our search data from Google, I see that some people are searching for a Git plugin for Confluence.

I'm intriguied. What would a Git plugin for Confluence do? What would the links be?

13 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user April 23, 2013

I know a lot of developers who would rather write documentation in Git than in new! improved! Confluence that doesn't have a markdown syntax. As a documentation wrangler, I don't care where they write it, so long as it gets written and all the users can see it.

So I would vote for a way to display a page written in Git or Github in Confluence.

Mark L. Smith April 23, 2013

Are there particular .MD files you want to pick out or are you interested in all .MD files in certain part of GIT?

YC April 24, 2013

What you need is to publish to Confluence from their source code. I guess Mark has a clue given the way he asked.

I advocate writing and committing into source tree too.

4 votes
Gert-Jan van de Streek March 18, 2014

There is https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/nl.avisi.confluence.plugins.git-plugin. It addresses the above use cases of Kathleen James, Brian Ramsay and Cassandra Targett where the requirement is to show files from git in Confluence. It can do both in page content as well as attachments.

3 votes
John Brett January 30, 2014

I was looking for a git plugin for appending commit labels to a confluence document - this would be track our release notes, should we tag a commit label with [release]. Would this be possible ?

3 votes
Brian Ramsay January 22, 2014

For us this issue comes up when we have documentation in a project's README and we would like to include the README in a confluence page so it can be read in both places but the developers working on the git repo only have to worry about keeping their README documentation up to date.

So it's not github-specific for us, outside of possibly supporting any markdown in the file. Though the point of markdown is to be human-readable even un-parsed, so it could be as simple as being able to include a text file for display.

2 votes
Larry Wilson October 26, 2015

We edit the Release Notes in JIRA then store them in the GIT repository

I want a simple way to place a link in a Summary page I have in Confluence ...

The link would act just like the File links only understand the GIT repositories ...

I tried the GIT add on for Confluence and it is clunky ...

I just want the Title I give it (like a web link), and I want it to pop up the file when I click on it.

But the Git add on leaves both the original name (the link) and the desired name in the rendered page ...

And clicking on the macro causes the doc to become part of the page IN the section ... not pretty ...

Any chance of getting the Web Link macro connected to the Git macro?

2 votes
Stefan Eike
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2013

Hi Kathleen, you probably have an engineer who's responsible for the Git setup. He/she is the one to add a Confluence import script to the hook. Probably you already have some hooks.

Read this or google for "confluence xmlrpc python", your engineer should know what to do.

Excellent - thank you :)

Rafael Gorski Moreno Souza February 4, 2014

Hi, Any implemetation available? github repo?

1 vote
YC April 22, 2013

At the end of the day, what do you want to achieve? :)

Shouldn't developers be reading changes and commits through `git log` and/or git-web/gitk/gitg/etc?

Mark L. Smith April 22, 2013

At the end of the day, I want to know what people expect when they think about mixing Confluence and Git so that I can investigate if there is a market looking for a product that doesn't exist (yet).

1 vote
Stefan Kleineikenscheidt _K15t_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2013

I can remember the Confluence 1.x days, where people asked for a SVN plugin that would store the page contents in SVN rather than in the Confluence DB. IMHO this didn't make sense back then and doesn't not make sense now.

What I can also think of (& which I would like to see) is a way to include content from a git repo to display code samples.

My 2 cents,
-Stefan

Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

Or the other way around could be useful to. Attach content in Confluence to Git commits.

Daniel Trezub June 13, 2019

We use BDD in some of our projects.

One of the main principles of BDD is to have one single source of truth for documentation, tests and specifications. They are all the same .feature file.

Those files are part of your repository.

Clients don't have access to our repo, but they have access to Confluence.

A way to display those files in Confluence would be great, as a true tree of files (not embedded, not as attachment, but a one-to-one mirror of the features directory)

Benedek Nagy August 12, 2019

GitHub has horrible versioning, that is why it could make sense to store the contents in SVN or git. Drafts are horribly unreliable, and so far I've found no way to edit a bunch of pages than publish them together as a release. Spaces don't have proper versioning.

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2013

Whatever that they want it to be?

I would say to use it as a read only client?

0 votes
es2020 February 19, 2018

I am documenting static metadata on my several git repos, which come & go.

Essentially, this documenting the status of Continuous Integration in a wiki dashboard.

It would be nice to iterate over all of them, to ensure that all git repo names are covered, as the are created, then later archived.

0 votes
Jan Helge Maurtvedt December 17, 2013

In addition to things mentioned before - In some projects Jira is not used or used in parallell with git issues. I would like to see something like https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/JIRA+Issues+Macrobut with http://developer.github.com/v3/issues/as the primary data source.

0 votes
Cassandra Targett August 28, 2013

I had one of our developers ask me about this today. So, just to add another use case, what he did was write some documentation for developers that is in the github repo, since the people who need it will need it to build the application locally from the repo. He also wants it to be accessible via our confluence instance, so the same developers can see it in our wiki (two paths of access). The ideal situation would be to embed the HTML pages (since he wrote it in HTML and not .md) into Confluence pages, so we don't have to maintain in 2 places, but that's problematic from what I can tell because the repo is private to our organization and requires login.

0 votes
Stefan Eike
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2013

What do you mean with "writing pages in Git"? Git is no editor! What you can do is create 'Readme.md" files or similar things and push these files into Confluence via Git hook. Your developers can change these 'Readme.md' files in their common IDE, so no need to open Confluence.

*shrugs* I know nothing about Git. But I've been told that 'git has a wiki that uses wiki markup, we would like to write our documentation there'. Maybe they mean 'github' ?

I don't care if they write in Martian, so long as it gets displayed in English in Confluence where ordinary people (end users, project managers, IT support) can read it without having to log into another system.

It sounds as if a git hook (http://git-scm.com/book/en/Customizing-Git-Git-Hooks) is the right solution. Do we have to write our own? Or is that the plugin that Mark is asking about?

YC April 24, 2013

I think they mean Github. Github has a Wiki.

Claudiu Creanga February 22, 2017

it means markdown. the format that github uses for README.md for example. 

John Gooch September 22, 2017

it means both. Markdown is very portable across applications, so using it as the master copy of documentation makes sense if you want

documentation available outside of confluence. Imagine that to save money your department has access to confluence, but other departments are not licensed to use it. You can make the repo or github wiki available to them for free.

Want offline access to documentation. sync it to our locale repository and now you can read it even if Confluence is not available. 

Want to use the same formatting syntax as widely as possible. MD is widely supported across a multitude of apps.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events