Not able to add transition to Resolved step - Workflow?

Tudor Hofnar April 15, 2013

Hi

I am having some trouble adding a transition to the Resolved step in a custom workflow...any idea why? This is a custom workflow which I built upon the default workflow...could this be it? This is how the Resolved step looks like in the workflow, I don't even have the option to add a transition to it?

I would just like to add Re-open so that a Resolved issue can be reopened...

JIRA Workflow Issue

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2013

Hi Tudor, because you never had a transition for that status in that workflow then you can't add any transitions to that. In order to be able to do that you have to make that workflow inactive.

What I do in those casesm is to make a copy of that workflow, make the changes I need to do and then do the same with the Workflow scheme. I usually name the copy with the same name as the original but I indicate something like V2(version 2).

Once you do that you go to the project and choose a different workflow scheme, as the two workflow scheme will be almost the same (same status) the migration will be fast and there won't be any mapping to do.

Hope this helps.

Thanks I just did what you suggested and it worked like a charm!

One more thing, I have a status which I created, called it 'In Dev' now in this status I added the Transition 'Closed' however, on the GH agile board when you drag the issue from In Dev to Closed it does not bring up the Resolution window and thus it does not get crossed out, just status changes...

What causes this? I noticed in the workflow that for the default steps if it is the Closed status it is italic text where mine is not. How can I get the resolution screen to pop up?

Thanks!

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2013

Tudor, if I understand correctly you want to make the resolution screen to pop up when you do the close transition. In fact the Resolution Screen it's for the resolve transition.

To make the screen to show you have to edit the workflow, select the transition and inside this you have to go to the option edit transition and select the screen you want to show.

Thank you! That works perfectly! :)

5 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 15, 2013

Hi Tudor

Editing of workflows using the Draft mode has the limitation that you cannot add or remove statues. If you check the documentation for workflows (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow) it mentions this restriction:

Please note that the following limitations apply when editing an active workflow:

1. Existing workflow steps cannot be deleted.

2. The associated Status for an existing step cannot be edited.

3. If an existing step has no outgoing transitions, it can't have any new outgoing transitions added.

4. Step IDs for existing steps cannot be changed.

So let's do this to resolve this issue Steven (please carefully read these steps):

1. Go to Administration > Workflows

2. Copy the workflow and give a new name (it will be inactive state)

3. Do the necessary modifications that you need for the workflow

4. Make a copy of the 'Workflow Scheme' that is being used by the project that you are trying to configure

5. Associate the newly copied workflow to the required issue-types in the copied 'Workflow Scheme'

6. Edit the project and associate the workflow scheme with the project

All relevant documentation links for achieving the above is listed below:

• https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow+Schemes
  • https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Activating+Workflow

2 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2014

This is one of MANY "features" of Jira where one cannot be sure if bug or feature: Feels buggy, causes unnecessary hassles, but apparently was implemented by design :-/

1 vote
Jiri Kan December 8, 2013

What is the logic behind this. Redo everything rather then just doing simple update to the current workflow. I did not get it.

Thanks.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 8, 2013

Hi Jiri. It does not involve redoing all the workflow again nor only updating the current workflow. The workflows have this thing that I don't know if it's a bug or it's on purpose, if you didn't create a transition for a status before the workflow becomes active then you won't be able to add a transition.

For example, let's say you have a workflow with a Closed status and you thought you'll never have the need to open again so you didn't create a Reopen transition. Then, one day the user comes and tells you to add a Reopen transition because people are closing issues by mistake.

You won't be able to add it just updating the workflow. You will have to make a copy and in the inactive copy you will be able to change.

Finally, you choose that workflow for your project and that way you get the reopen transition in an almost exactly workflow.

Joshua Balsillie December 7, 2017

@Ramiro Pointis

I think the point being made by most visitors to this page is the draft shows the ability to add transitions, lets you click transitions, fill out the form, then gives you an error saying you can't do what you're trying to do.

As was my experience with this functionality, I would advise Atlassian to remove / disable the "add transitions" feature, or figure out a way to have it work.

The copy / paste the workflow, point project to new workflow, delete old workflow isn't how people seem to want to use this feature judging from the thread, myself included.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2013

Hi,

I think you are editing the Active Workflow by creating the draft.

Note: You will not be able to add new transition for a status which doesnot have any existing transition.

Make the workflow inactive & you will be able to add new transition.

Regards,

Chaithra

1 vote
Michal Husar
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2013

Hi Tudor,

please look on "Global transitions" in Workflow designer. If you create global transition to status Open, you can go to this statys from any other status. (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow)

But if you can't add any transitions(by Resolved status), did you try recreate your workflow?

Suggest an answer